Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

9981 - 10000 of 10021 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Bk2. All it took was one very big pothole. I panicked when it happened, cause I had never hit a pothole in my Coupe before and I’m always good about taking my time when going up steep driveways and speed bumps, but then I researched it on here and found that it’s actually a really common issue with Gen Coupes.

·
In Charge of Snacks
2,055 Posts
FINALLY i got the timing chain job done, dealer ship held me up with long order times for parts but i got done:

- Timing chain / guides tensioner
- Oil pump chain, tensioner, guides
- MLA / valve clearances on exhaust side (intake was in specs)
- New water pump + gaskets

This would not take so long if it wouldn't be for bat parts availability :|
Started her up and up i have to say works a LOT better, 130 k Miles and the chain was still original and at least half a link longer than new one.
Good job, Sir! I figured this would take a while for the exact reasons you mention. I think it's what's holding me back from doing it myself. If I order all the parts I might need, it's super expensive. If I just crack it open and see, I could have a car down for a week or more.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Good job, Sir! I figured this would take a while for the exact reasons you mention. I think it's what's holding me back from doing it myself. If I order all the parts I might need, it's super expensive. If I just crack it open and see, I could have a car down for a week or more.
Well...

The truth is you need just the guides, tension-er and a chain, .. that's a minimum you need. MLA, are the problematic and potentially expensive as you wont know what you need until you actually get in there.

but yeah this is a 1-day job IF there are no problems along the way.

But you really need some good tools, good torque wrench for 5-25 Nm, and another for crankshaft pulley (176 Nm). Also something to block the crankshaft pulley with.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Bk1 or bk2? I’ve heard so many people post on here about that same issue that it’s made me a complete hypochondriac about any passenger side noise I hear
Mine is a BK2 and all noises are from the passenger side.

We got the car with 12k miles on it so we don't know about previous owners ability to dodge potholes. We have done a decent job, but we heard the noise before we bought it and figured it was normal until coming on here.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Been trying to troubleshoot why since my headers+ install, I have about 6 different engine codes using the SFR canned tune.. and everything I'm trying isn't helping...=\

·
IG: jasonlikedthis
754 Posts
Got the louver installed :D

·
754 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Nice! I’ve been looking for a set of louvers for my Gen for a while now. I’ve seen some that range between $150-300, but aren’t specifically for our cars. I’m wondering if ones from a similar coupe like a g37 or something would work. I’m just looking for something affordable that will still look good.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Nice! I’ve been looking for a set of louvers for my Gen for a while now. I’ve seen some that range between $150-300, but aren’t specifically for our cars. I’m wondering if ones from a similar coupe like a g37 or something would work. I’m just looking for something affordable that will still look good.

You wanna know for side windows or back window? G37 won’t fit the side window. The shape doesn’t match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
754 Posts
Well, the one I got is made of metal so doubt any from Zakustech for other car models would fit our cars. Don't really know of any other cheaper ones out there to tell you the truth.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Those zakustech ones can get hella pricey. Cheapest they have is 435. Carbon fiber looks good, and would match my hood and trunk. But a grand is hard to justify for a window louver.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yeah, the zakustech ones look very high quality. I was looking to purchase some gloss black louvers, but I believe theirs go for around $535 or so. I was only looking to spend between $150-300 tops, but those are the only ones made specifically for Gens. I’ll keep looking at different brands for either a universal set or ones from another model car that have a similar shaped rear window.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I’d start out by taking measurements of the rear glass. Then try to find measurements of other louvers to find ones that come close. That’s the hard part, because vendors don’t usually publicize dimensions. And manufacturers sometimes won’t tell you if you email them directly. But it’s worth a try to save a few hundred bucks lol.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Been trying to troubleshoot why since my headers+ install, I have about 6 different engine codes using the SFR canned tune.. and everything I'm trying isn't helping...=\
It's very possible that you need a custom tune, SFR are known to have too much timing or too hight of target boost (if 2.0) .
Het it tuned thu Alphaspeed, rather local dealer or mail in tuning hardware.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm not a fan of the louvres, gives the Ford twerps a reason to say you're imitating. To each their own... Today, I ripped off all my aftermarket parts and traded the beast in for a 2020 Tacoma. Holler if you want to peruse my wares...

9981 - 10000 of 10021 Posts