Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

10221 - 10240 of 10270 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Almost blew up my engine today. Unknown to me the drain plug fell out along with all my new synth oil. When the car started smoking and sounding awful while lighting up the oil pressure gauge I got it to the dealer that installed a new plug and put new synth oil in it and all appears well amazingly.

Yesterday I changed the oil and filter, hand tightened the plug and wrenched the oil filter tight but forgot to wrench the plug. I know better than that as I've been doing oil changes for 30yrs to prevent idiots at jiffy lube from damaging my cars. Unbelievable I did such a stupid thing.

Could have cost me thousands for a replacement engine. Already burns 2qts between oil changes so now will likely burn more.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Where did you get the brace?
Yes its the ATQ Differential Brace. Here is a small review... turned out longer than I expected but you can jump to TLDR. The Brace itself and bushings are great. ATQ includes necessary hardware, including a Milwaukee hole saw bit. However, my struggles and delays with getting it installed came down to a few issues:
  1. My local shop said the Hyundai differential bushings did not match any of the standard sizes they carried so they couldn't extract/install them.
  2. Turns out ATQ sells a "removal/install kit", for $460 that is an assortment of machined pucks (not sure of a good name for them) bolts and nuts. Main idea is to slowly force the pucks/plates against the bushing and push them in/out. Cost was high, but I struck a deal with the shop that if it helps any other coupes in my area they'd cover half the cost. I wanted this installed and just bit the cost.
First of all, the Milwaukee hole saw bit seems to have been defective. It was brand new, just removed from its package and was part of the differential brace kit. On first attempt to drill through the subframe it barely scratched the metal and lost pretty much all its teeth. My mechanic ran and got another and ate through it no problem, teeth intact. I don't want to blame ATQ for this one, it was still sealed in its original packaging, just not a great start to the install process. The hole was properly cleaned up and sanded before the brace was installed and the new hole received the bushing/brace no problem.

I watched my mechanic try so many things and this kit was an absolute nightmare to use correctly for the rear-left bushing. In fact, he managed to snap 1 of the 2 bolts while trying to install the bushing. Could have been heat stress and a few other reasons, but the bushing was just not moving and he had to remove it several times. He had already cleaned up the surface of the subframe with some sanding, it was going in straight, but it just wouldn't move past a certain point. One of the ATQ youtube videos also has an abrupt cut where they don't show it actually used (and note oh this took like 10 minutes) and one of their new videos from this year is 43 seconds long and doesn't show you the assembly of the tool, just they were able to remove a bushing with a wrench and impact.

Well my mechanic used an impact, used a wrench, used a socket wrench, used lube, additional sanding, etc. That thing just didn't want to go in. The bolt snapped when using a decent sized socket wrench for leverage. Needless to say we joked about him not having to hit the gym tomorrow. Overall the front bushings weren't too bad, but he did mention they were a bit tougher to align correctly to the hole.

TLDR; the brace itself and bushings are great. Install was a lousy experience and nightmare (and I wasn't the one doing it). If you can make/source your own tool for removal/extraction I wish you luck. I don't pity anyone who attempts this in their own garage, without a lift and proper tools. Find a local shop and make some friends

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well its official I'm making ~336lbs torque, 400whp @22psi on a stock BK2 block. Tuner's felt that was a good stopping point, especially since I'm still on stock internals and 93 Octane. Drive home was wet, but after it dried up it was fantastic! Even if it comes on later, it felt great even in low boost. They did dial it back a tad after an additional run made 340lbs torque just to be safe.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Got new Pilot Sport 4S tires a couple days ago then I saw one was completely flat this morning. Found one of these big thick spline roofing nails in it. Plugged it and all is well. Not surprising as this usually happens when I get new tires from all the contractors that haul their unsecured debris in open trailers to fall out all over the roads.

·
2012 Gen. 3.8 Track w/ZF
788 Posts
Downloaded the new update to my Nav system. I have a 2012 3.8 Track. This is my second upgrade, and I'm happy with the results. The last one cost me $199. This one only cost $25. I'm thinking the price was so much lower than last time because either it was that I was a return customer, or that it was sponsored by my local dealer. Finally have the new, yet to be completed, Interstate 11, which is supposed to run from Reno, through Vegas, to Phoenix. The only part that's complete is partially through Vegas on the southeast part of town.

·
...4, 3, 2, 1
1,489 Posts
New pads and rotors on all 4 corners.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Downloaded the new update to my Nav system. I have a 2012 3.8 Track. This is my second upgrade, and I'm happy with the results. The last one cost me $199. This one only cost $25. I'm thinking the price was so much lower than last time because either it was that I was a return customer, or that it was sponsored by my local dealer. Finally have the new, yet to be completed, Interstate 11, which is supposed to run from Reno, through Vegas, to Phoenix. The only part that's complete is partially through Vegas on the southeast part of town.
May i ask where you got the update from for $25.00 ?

·
2012 Gen. 3.8 Track w/ZF
788 Posts
My Hyundai Dealer sent me a page for "Map n Soft" I checked their page and found the link for my model of car. They posted the price as $25 plus a small shipping charge. I received it in the mail four days later after a three day weekend. I tried to send you a clean link, but it insists on putting my personal info up on the order page. I cannot seem to be able to delete it! Bummer! Just Google "Hyundai MnSOFT, Inc."

Reactions: lvdukerider

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just a follow up car is doing great and weather was so much nicer today for some cruising and a cars and coffee. So while the power does come on late, driveability seems fine to me, probably cause in low boost its near stock powers, but that top end really goes. I look forward to see what the built engine at around 2.4L displacement and new cams will change that curve.

Here is a video a shot with my phone. Was raining a bit, but it came out pretty good all things considered.

Reactions: hollysheepsht

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
My Hyundai Dealer sent me a page for "Map n Soft" I checked their page and found the link for my model of car. They posted the price as $25 plus a small shipping charge. I received it in the mail four days later after a three day weekend. I tried to send you a clean link, but it insists on putting my personal info up on the order page. I cannot seem to be able to delete it! Bummer! Just Google "Hyundai MnSOFT, Inc."
Thanks so much, i just created an account and placed my order as im still on my original 2014 software. They sure make you check off a lot of disclaimers, just swap the S.D. card right? What could go wrong? 🤪

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks so much, i just created an account and placed my order as im still on my original 2014 software. They sure make you check off a lot of disclaimers, just swap the S.D. card right? What could go wrong? 🤪
I went to HYUNDAI MNSOFT Homepage and clicked on the link on the far side for Nav updates and the site is in a different language. Did you get to a site in english?

·
2012 Gen. 3.8 Track w/ZF
788 Posts
SVonhof

::The site I went to was from a link on my dealer's site. It.was English.

lvdukerider...
They will send you a User code that you have to type in when you start the download. They also send a thumb drive that you plug in to your USB port. Be sure to follow all the directions. You will have to run your engine for the whole time it takes to download. Mine took almost 90 minutes to finish.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
SVonhof

::The site I went to was from a link on my dealer's site. It.was English.

lvdukerider...
They will send you a User code that you have to type in when you start the download. They also send a thumb drive that you plug in to your USB port. Be sure to follow all the directions. You will have to run your engine for the whole time it takes to download. Mine took almost 90 minutes to finish.
Oh fun, i had to check the box stating that i have a computer, well actually all i have is my phone, we'll see if this is going to be possible. Oh well at worst I'll be out 30 bucks.🤣

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I wonder if mine is just replace the sd card in the slot because thats all the dealer did when i bought the car, i guess I'll find out.

·
2012 Gen. 3.8 Track w/ZF
788 Posts
Oh fun, i had to check the box stating that i have a computer, well actually all i have is my phone, we'll see if this is going to be possible. Oh well at worst I'll be out 30 bucks.🤣
I had to check the computer box too. The only reason you will need one, or a smartphone is to receive the authorization code by e mail, from them. No, you will get a thumb drive in the mail, that you will need to plug into your USB port. Unless yours is different than my 2012. Anyway, they will send you whatever you need.

Reactions: lvdukerider

·
Registered
95 Posts
BTW, I was looking at a different web site (the parent site maybe) and could not do it. Went and Googled "Myundai Map n soft and got to the correct page: Mapcare | Home page

Placed my order and will see how it goes. Thanks for the info.

Use this link: Mapcare | Home page

NOT: HYUNDAI MNSOFT Homepage

Looks like it will have some nice updates as well.

10221 - 10240 of 10270 Posts