Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

10261 - 10278 of 10278 Posts

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
3,091 Posts
Thanks for the reccomendations to you both.
Looking on Tire Rack, the Pilot Sport 4S is $1040 for a set, Extremecontact sport's are $885. Not that much difference, but the Pilot Sport 4S is rated #1 in the tires in the category for our cars vs #3 and the Would You Recommend, Comfort Performance and Treadwear Performance are all ranked higher.

I didn't see Michelin Super Sport's in the list.
The Sport 4S replaced the Super Sports a few years ago. I've had the 4S on my car for two+ years now, and on my second set of rears, they are great but do only last about 15K miles.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The Sport 4S replaced the Super Sports a few years ago. I've had the 4S on my car for two+ years now, and on my second set of rears, they are great but do only last about 15K miles.
On Tire Rack, they list the 4S tires as 300 on the UTQG Treadwear Grades vs 340 for the Continentals. So, they Continentals should last a few more miles. I am sure the rating they do doesn't push the limits of the tires, which is where much of the wear would occur.

From: Tire Tech Information - Uniform Tire Quality Grade (UTQG) Standards (tirerack.com)
Treadwear Grades
UTQG Treadwear Grades are based on actual road use in which the test tire is run in a vehicle convoy along with standardized Course Monitoring Tires. The vehicle repeatedly runs a prescribed 400-mile test loop in West Texas for a total of 7,200 miles. The vehicle can have its alignment set, air pressure checked and tires rotated every 800 miles. The test tire's and the Monitoring Tire's wear are measured during and at the conclusion of the test. The tire manufacturers then assign a Treadwear Grade based on the observed wear rates. The Course Monitoring Tire is assigned a grade and the test tire receives a grade indicating its relative treadwear. A grade of 100 would indicate that the tire tread would last as long as the test tire, 200 would indicate the tread would last twice as long, 300 would indicate three times as long, etc.

The problem with UTQG Treadwear Grades is that they are open to some interpretation on the part of the tire manufacturer because they are assigned after the tire has only experienced a little treadwear as it runs the 7,200 miles. This means that the tire manufacturers need to extrapolate their raw wear data when they are assigning Treadwear Grades, and that their grades can to some extent reflect how conservative or optimistic their marketing department is. Typically, comparing the Treadwear Grades of tire lines within a single brand is somewhat helpful, while attempting to compare the grades between different brands is not as helpful.

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
3,091 Posts
On Tire Rack, they list the 4S tires as 300 on the UTQG Treadwear Grades vs 340 for the Continentals. So, they Continentals should last a few more miles. I am sure the rating they do doesn't push the limits of the tires, which is where much of the wear would occur.

From: Tire Tech Information - Uniform Tire Quality Grade (UTQG) Standards (tirerack.com)
From a warranty standpoint the 4S is 30K for a non-staggered car, 15K for a staggered setup, Michelin cuts any warranty in half automatically for cars that can't be rotated back to front. I'm not doing burnouts or skids and my first set of rears were bang on 15K when they needed to be replaced, I expected my fronts to last a little longer but we'll see. In general I would say Michelin's warranty is fair on these, and FYI Continental's warranty is identical, 30K cut in half for staggered cars so keep that in mind too. I don't think you can go wrong with either tire honestly, I see the Continentals on plenty of high performance European cars, etc.

·
Registered
99 Posts
From a warranty standpoint the 4S is 30K for a non-staggered car, 15K for a staggered setup, Michelin cuts any warranty in half automatically for cars that can't be rotated back to front. I'm not doing burnouts or skids and my first set of rears were bang on 15K when they needed to be replaced, I expected my fronts to last a little longer but we'll see. In general I would say Michelin's warranty is fair on these, and FYI Continental's warranty is identical, 30K cut in half for staggered cars so keep that in mind too. I don't think you can go wrong with either tire honestly, I see the Continentals on plenty of high performance European cars, etc.
Thanks for the info. We are close to needing a service so I will see what the dealer charges (see if they will match or come close to matching Tire Rack) and go from there.

·
Registered
124 Posts
engin oil and filter change : Rotella T6 and wix filter
Transmission oil change : Red line 50504 MT-85 75W85 GL-4
Differential oil change : Red line 58304 (75W90)
Mirror Flasher Wrap : Lamin-X Gunsmoke
Downpipe : ARK downpipe
Brake Pad : Wagner

Busy Day!! :)

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,959 Posts
When you do a day of Auto X or road race reset the gas mileage and see what you get on the track. I think I got like 23 mpg one day.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanks for the reccomendations to you both.
Looking on Tire Rack, the Pilot Sport 4S is $1040 for a set, Extremecontact sport's are $885. Not that much difference, but the Pilot Sport 4S is rated #1 in the tires in the category
Those Continentals a few years ago were awful on my coupe so I returned them for a refund and got the 4S which were way better and I've stuck with them ever since. Maybe the Continentals are better now but I've gone through at least 3 sets of 4S and got over 20k miles on each set regardless of spirited driving and various camber settings. I've driven them through winters below freezing in the rain without issue so no need for winter tires in my case but winters are mild in TX too compared to up North.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Those Continentals a few years ago were awful on my coupe so I returned them for a refund and got the 4S which were way better and I've stuck with them ever since. Maybe the Continentals are better now but I've gone through at least 3 sets of 4S and got over 20k miles on each set regardless of spirited driving and various camber settings. I've driven them through winters below freezing in the rain without issue so no need for winter tires in my case but winters are mild in TX too compared to up North.
Thanks for the input. I am in Central California so pretty similar conditions except I won't ever be caught in snow in our Coupe.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Im gonna miss Titan :(

Reactions: andbudzi

·
Registered
124 Posts
ARK down pipe installed now i'm waiting for the new 2 oxygen (Denso) sensors to replaced the original one.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Im gonna miss Titan :(
Ye, I was in shock myself. Remember when he first joined/bough Gen. We had some good conversations about intakes and porting long before he got his hands dirty in it. Great guy, he was...and did alot for Gen community.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have the continental DSW extreme contacts.
Very noisy tire after they get broke in a little. You can find threads on this site about them as well as just about any other forum site. They are grippy though. Besides the noise, they are good tires.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Very noisy tire after they get broke in a little. You can find threads on this site about them as well as just about any other forum site. They are grippy though. Besides the noise, they are good tires.
Noisy is not good. I think the Pilot Sport 4S will be my next tires. Likely sometime in Fab/Mar timeframe.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I have Continental extremecontact Sport (different then DSW) noise is same as OEM.
#1 desiding factor between grippy tires for me is weight.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

10261 - 10278 of 10278 Posts