Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
10321 - 10340 of 10372 Posts

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,577 Posts
Changed thermostat. Hyundai out Hyundai in. Not the original. Third one IIRC. 1st one got lazy and would not fully close. Not a problem unless driving in the winter. This one I took out was opening at a higher temp that normal (185F) and sometimes stuck closed as the temp would shoot over 200F then suddenly drop to 183F or so. But lately with the heat in the 80Fs its been going to 189F and staying there.

New one opens at 183F and runs around 185F once all warmed up. It's rated at 180F/82C.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Those tail lights look incredible! Did you end up reusing your OEM taillight gaskets or the new ones that came with the Spec-Ds? Also, did you silicone seal them?
The old gaskets looked to be in great shape,, but are still attached to the original tail lamps. I cleaned up the area before installing the spec D's with the gaskets provided, from the inside of the trunk with a light They look to be sealed up good. In seven years my coupe has never seen water. I am aware of the water in the trunk issue with the coupe, the spec D's seem to mount flush with the car body with no gap but I might add a strip of clear tape along the top edge just in case I ever actually get caught out in a real rain storm. I'm more concerned with the spec D's throwing the car into limp mode, so far so good. I like them the way they are, don't really want to have to do the "Audi mod".

·
Registered
2013 3.8 Track 8 Speed
453 Posts
Went to the Dyno again to see my before and after SFR on my Dyno. Also bought upgraded size tires 255/35/19 R
235/35/19 F
Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's.

·
Registered
2013 3.8 Track 8 Speed
453 Posts
They are coming in another thread. I'm doing before and after walnut blast results.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,577 Posts
Doing a coolant flush today. Got the old out and some water and 10% critic acid solution in. First heat cycle done. I need to top off and cycle again. Then flush with soft water, then flush with demineralized water. Then a fill with a gallon of 70/30 then top off with 50/50.

Changing from green to yellow long life too.

It's an all day affair for me. I was checking my records and can't find any actual dedicated change. Mostly was replacement when changing hoses etc.

·
Registered
128 Posts
They are coming in another thread. I'm doing before and after walnut blast results.
Curious to see these! I'm having the timing chain changed and a walnut blast done in couple of weeks. How much in your area to media blast intake valves?

·
Registered
2013 3.8 Track 8 Speed
453 Posts
Doing it myself.

·
Court Jester
4,297 Posts
GDI Intake cleaner, oil, tranny, diff fluids, pulled and cleaned the brakes, rotated tires.... ceramic spray to wheels....

Therapeutic day! :)

·
Court Jester
4,297 Posts
Oh yeah, forgot... last week painted the mirrors, door handles and antenna.

Clear coat had been peeling for over a year, looked like crap.

Looks 100% better now, and wasn't hard to do. :)

Reactions: Red Raspberry

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,577 Posts
Me and the Gen Coupe survived this yesterday. Went right over the top of me it looks like from the rain damage. Got 5.5" here yesterday.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Me and the Gen Coupe survived this yesterday. Went right over the top of me it looks like from the rain damage. Got 5.5" here yesterday.

Yikes!!! Glad your safe.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,577 Posts
Went to change the cabin filter thinking the Accent one fits and it doesn't. It's the newer Accent that has the same filter. It was terribly clogged as there was quite difference in ac air flow with the system in recirculate compared to fresh air. So I blew it out and ordered some TYC carbon filter ones.

But it was the first time in the 12 years I have owned it that a mouse nest was not found. I invested in feeding two feral cats to keep them around the grounds. Seems to be paying off.

·
Registered
2013 3.8 Track 8 Speed
453 Posts
Replaced the battery. Boy was it causing several issues with the car. High oil temp, low on power on acceleration.

·
Registered
23 Posts
How many car payments did that cost?
Lol. About 2. If I recall it was $600 and took 2 months to get stock. It was worth it to me to eliminate my voltage drops from bass without having to add a second battery. I already have a hi amp alternator. Plus the weight savings help to offset some of this sound deadening I added

·
Registered
2013 3.8 Track 8 Speed
453 Posts
Changed rear differential oil and Monday (August 2) doing a complete transmission change. Not a flush.

10321 - 10340 of 10372 Posts