Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi gentlemen,

So I got a screamin' deal on a 2014 Ultimate a few months ago. It was so screamin' that I'm pretty sure it's had extensive work done on it, but I don't know enough to spot the differences. I'm beginning to suspect my bumper cover is from a different model; not an ultimate.

I'm still a little confused on DRL's. My fog lights work as they should, controlled by the sleeve on the turn signal. (They don't come on when the headlights are set to "auto," though.) But the DRL's (and am I correct in assuming that the daytime running lights on these cars are the "eyebrow" LED strips directly above the fog lights?) have never come on. As I understand it, on Ultimate models, the LED's should work, and on other models, they're "dummy" lights with no bulbs.

I took the bumper cover off to see. Sure enough, there is nothing behind those strips; no bulbs, no wiring, nada. So ... are there some Ultimates with the "dummy" DRL's? Or do I have the fog lights from another vehicle?

Also, there's the wiring connectors. My wiring has this:

Kind of dirty. Those two wires that are stuck into the connector end in this:

Much cleaner, and fit nicely into the receptacle on the back of my fog light housing:

Both sides are the same. It looks to me like someone jury-rigged the existing wiring to work with these fog lights. For some reason.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? It's frustrating to research options and solutions to things when I'm not entirely sure what I have ....

EDIT! Okay let's try imgur for those images, since google drive apparently wasn't playing nice....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, no pictures...

my Track (pre-14 Ultimate) has the running lights. sounds like you got something with aftermarket options.
you should be able to search up brochures of Ultimates.
Photos are fixed!

I'm really surprised how hard it is to find any kind of documentation for this car. The only "owners manual" I found was a generic Genesis; most of the illustrations weren't even for my car. Supposedly Hyundai is terrible about this. :frown:

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,782 Posts
Yes that looks like they jumpered the fogs to the DRLs so they both ran at the same time. Probably from either mode too, meaning whether the fog light turned them on or the DRL control.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, thanks, those might help. But it doesn't answer why my current lights are so different than whatever got replaced .... I'm not likely to decipher the schematics without help, so I'll ask: would my connectors (which are the ones pictured in you diagram) run both the DRL's and the fog lights? One connector to handle them both? And the lights I have, presumably, are from another, lesser model, which has no DRL's, and therefore doesn't need such a complex connector?

And we're talking about the same thing, right? The DRL's are the LED strip above the normal bulb fog lights?

Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts