Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
3point8 Performance
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's time to replace the factory tires on the r-spec. I decided to go with 255/40/19 on the rear. What characteristics should I look for in a performance tire?

I'm specifically looking for grip. I don't drive in snow ever but I do get some wet weather. I don't need superior wet performance since I'm out of throttle most of the time. In dry conditions I expect grip. As is, before tune, traction is difficult to achieve and getting worse and worse with every mile that goes by. I can easily spin 3rd now.

Is there any special type of tread pattern, tire material or spec that I should pay attention to? Does it even matter? Will any ultra high perf summer tire fit the bill?

I have not given any thought to the fronts but probably going to stick to stock size, but I suppose I have the same question for fronts with a focus on preventing under steer.

Uses: daily driving, hitting the twisties on mountain roads and possibly track use (minimal)

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
3,077 Posts
First thing to remember with this car, or cars like it, is to ignore the mileage ratings on the tire, even with tame driving a performance tire will never make it to the advertised end. Adding to that, tires that are advertised as super high performance will be even worse, super grippy means super soft which on a ~3,500lb. car means short life, if you're good with that and the price tag then tires like Pilot Super Sports and Pirerrli P Zeros will be your best bets, otherwise you will want to compromise and go down a performance level to get more life from the tires.

You'll get a lot of opinion on here I'm sure but the best thing to do is some outside research, sounds like you know you want a summer tire and I'm sure you have a budget, start reading reviews on Tire Rack and even other car forums, you'll find more than you need to pick a tire in your budget.

·
3point8 Performance
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First thing to remember with this car, or cars like it, is to ignore the mileage ratings on the tire, even with tame driving a performance tire will never make it to the advertised end. Adding to that, tires that are advertised as super high performance will be even worse, super grippy means super soft which on a ~3,500lb. car means short life, if you're good with that and the price tag then tires like Pilot Super Sports and Pirerrli P Zeros will be your best bets, otherwise you will want to compromise and go down a performance level to get more life from the tires.

You'll get a lot of opinion on here I'm sure but the best thing to do is some outside research, sounds like you know you want a summer tire and I'm sure you have a budget, start reading reviews on Tire Rack and even other car forums, you'll find more than you need to pick a tire in your budget.
Thanks. I've been reading reviews and have found a few options I like, but wanted some info on what to look for, more so to avoid a sh*tty tire, but not necessarily recommendations. But the ones you mentioned I have been looking at along with others listed along side those.

I would like a tire that lasts a bit longer than these did (~25k) and figured if I'm going with a wider tire, I could give up a little grip for added mileage.

Stock tires have a rating of 140 while tires like the continental extreme contact DW have a 340 but boast excellent grip. I'm curious how that happens. I realize 140 brand X vs 340 brand Y is apples to oranges though.

·
shorttrack
1,605 Posts
I run Nitto NTO5 275-35-19 ,great rear tire selection .

·
Super Moderator
40,498 Posts
Tire wear and stickiness is often a trade off. If you get a tire with better wear, it's not as sticky. If you get a really sticky tire, it won't last.

Obviously there are exceptions as some tire formulations don't have to compromise as much.... for instance PSS. Michelin has a proprietary formula... and you'll lay down some heavy cash to get a few more miles and a lot grippier.

At the end of the day... you need to prioritize what is most important to you and then base your buying choices on what you want to achieve. I usually go through about 2 sets of tires a year.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Yes, OEM tires have below average traction and are heavy. Look for traction ratings and weight of different tires on the tire rack.

Extreem contact will be my next choise for the rear. One of the lightest tires and offer very good traction, reasonably priced.

E.C. DW have soft sidewall so might not be good choice for the front if you are looking for fast responce to the steering imput. I would recommend Hankook EVO2 tires for the front, with a bit stiffer sidewall.
Soft sidewall is better for off the line traction and drivability.

AND remember .... decreasing weight of the tires has more impact on performance then decreasing weight of rims. For 19" rims, reducing tire weight is 3 folds the benefit as opose to reducing rim weight.

U should go 265 in the rear..265/35...245/35 front...keep them light though.

·
3.8 Driver
361 Posts
I bought Yokohama S-Drive's in 275 for my rears. Soft tire, but I didn't expect it to last long anyway lol...

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
If you like the twisty's and stuff you want something with a HARD sidewall. @andbudzi I think explained it very well.

Soft sidewall will help with traction in the rear, along with making the ride a little smoother. But soft sidewalls in the front will make the car feel like a pig...

I have the hankook ventus V12 Evo² on my car and like them.. I still feel like the sidewalls are a little soft though lol.

·
3point8 Performance
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I'm not a fan of soft sidewalls. Is there a rating or some other property/metric I can look for to determine sidewall strength/hardness?

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Yeah I'm not a fan of soft sidewalls. Is there a rating or some other property/metric I can look for to determine sidewall strength/hardness?
I don't think it is a measurable thing for most tires. HOWEVER!

I am pretty, like 99% sure that tire rack has a list of all the aspects of a tire, included sidewall stiffness on their website, for a LOT of tires.

Take a look there to see if will ease your decision.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
All I know is that these were the absolute best tires I have ever owned.... They were very popular with the BMW guys in autocross. I got them to run the Ortega highway over and over again flat out in, wait for it..... my Kia Spectra LOL.... But with these things on I could pretty much just flat out fly through that road and eat everything other than bikes for lunch through the twisties.

I'm pretty sure they had Kevlar reinforced sidewalls, the dry traction was insane and the wet traction was supurb to say the least.. I had three sets of them until they were discontinued a couple years ago :(.... I am in the market for new tires as well, and am looking for anything that remotely comes close to these. I am not sure about the new Goodyear Eagle F1 (max summer performance) series tires?? the tread design is completely different, and sidewalls are using some new material technology I think (not the old Kevlar reinforced... All I can say is I have had PILOTS, CONTINENTALS, BFGs, NITTO (those were awesome drag radials haha), HANNKOOK and KUHMO and nothing even came close to the EAGLE GTs, they were/are freaking awesome tires.... Here is a couple pics from when I got my first set....

Here is a catalogue PIC

I will be needing a new set within the next 3-4 months so I am on a freaking conquest to find something as close to these as possible..... If I was able to sleep with a tire..... this would be the one hands down ;)... Now the one thing to note is that I was running them on a FWD car, ours are RWD, but the BMW were running these in autocross on RWD cars so?????

·
Registered
350 Posts
For the rear I'm debating the bfGoodrich pro comps 2, summer tired and the continentals, summer tires 275/35/19

For daily commuting and longer life which one u would u guys get, I'm worried the continentals would be too soft and wouldn't last long

·
3point8 Performance
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Would max load be in indication of sidewall strength at all? Looking around on tire rack for some info on sidewall.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Would max load be in indication of sidewall strength at all? Looking around on tire rack for some info on sidewall.

Not sure
This is I strictly based off of what most reviews have to the continental tires and what he tire shop says

They say the continentals go by quick if the car is on the heavy side

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
They used to have a chart that would list say, all MAX performance tires.

It would break it down into a chart that went on a 1-10 basis for, treadwear, noise, sidewall stiffness, dry traction, wet traction. literally everything to do with a tire.

I will take a look for you once I get some time at work lol.

·
3point8 Performance
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They used to have a chart that would list say, all MAX performance tires.

It would break it down into a chart that went on a 1-10 basis for, treadwear, noise, sidewall stiffness, dry traction, wet traction. literally everything to do with a tire.

I will take a look for you once I get some time at work lol.
I did a compare selected tires, I see metrics like "Steering Response" and "Cornering Stability" which should indicate sidewall perf, yes?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Consumer Survey Results By Category

This gives links to each of the higher rated tires, from there we can see the specs, but I cant find anything on sidewall construction, only way to find that out it seems is viewing the actual sidewall of the tire in the pictures???

doesn't show any specifics, just customer ratings I think...... I filtered the results by 255/35/19 tire size btw....

This is the info. I am looking for when looking to purchase tires, this along with actual performance ratings or even reviews, but can't figure out how to get this info anymore???

The branding on the sidewall of a tire is required to list the materials and number of layers of each material used to reinforce the rubber.

A typical tire's basic construction materials are usually presented as follows:

TREAD 2 POLYESTER + 2 STEEL + 1 NYLON
SIDEWALL 2 POLYESTER

The branding in this example identifies that molded into the rubber under the centerline of the tread lies two radial body plies of polyester cord, two belts of angled steel cord and one circumferential cap ply of nylon cord. It also identifies that in each sidewall at the widest points between the tire's inner and outer sidewalls (tire section width) lies two radial body plies of polyester cord (a continuation of the same two body plies that were listed under the centerline of the tread).

Many high-speed tires use circumferential reinforcements above the steel belts. These are either in the form of belt edge strips (approximately 1-inch wide bands covering only the inner and outer edges of the steel belts), full cap plies (covering the entire width of the steel belts) or a combination of both. However, because belt edge strips are not present under the centerline of the tread, they are never reflected in the basic construction material's branding for the tread area.

Many ultra high performance tires also use fabric or steel cord reinforced sidewalls to increase steering response and cornering stability. However, because sidewall-reinforcing material is not present at the widest points of the tire's sidewalls, they are never reflected in the basic construction materials branding for the sidewall area.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts