Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i currently have the cx racing standard intercooler kit, the core is 22x7x 2.5 and overall lenght is 28 inchs. i have a question what would be the best replacement core for this that would fit my piping?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Garret in my opinion is the best. It's only 1" longer (29")should be able to squeeze it in. (that's what she said!)

·
Jedi Master
6,461 Posts
garrett is the best but you pay for it. for under 500hp go depo best bang for buck, but if you want the best look into garrett or weirtech vibrant good for 800hp

·
The 1st 2000GT
1,872 Posts
BTRcc says the Kamak one is pretty badass, and showed better results than the AEM one on their shop car.

HKS...anybody...o, wait its only 13726484$. Cheap...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Jedi Master
6,461 Posts
AEM has one of the best antilag setups, it's piping design results in a ~20%shorter piping, meaning, boost needs to travel less to get to the engine, also the fact that it uses the sotkc radiator fan to cool it a low wind speeds. Kamak is a traditional design with little fin desity and such, i'm sure it's better then cxracing, but not enough when you looking for major power

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys i had depo racing but i needed a smaller core it was to wide and i had plans on getting a new bumper and i needed to trim the last 2 alot.

maybe you guys can help me. recently i been noticing when i beat on my car locally on my 20 min-30 min drive home from work, towards the end of the drive my car falls flat on its face and has like no power. would this be caused by heat soak and that i maxed out the intercooler? when i get home my turbo glows and i hear my anti freeze like sizzling under the heat shield. i know my friend told me last night the next time it happens feel the cold side pipe if its hot its the intercooler is this tru?

·
Ex-DSMer
3,611 Posts
Are you logging AIT or water temp? Any boost leaks?

Heat soak won't cook antifreeze, but will kill timing/power.

·
White 2.0T A/T
772 Posts
thanks guys i had depo racing but i needed a smaller core it was to wide and i had plans on getting a new bumper and i needed to trim the last 2 alot.

maybe you guys can help me. recently i been noticing when i beat on my car locally on my 20 min-30 min drive home from work, towards the end of the drive my car falls flat on its face and has like no power. would this be caused by heat soak and that i maxed out the intercooler? when i get home my turbo glows and i hear my anti freeze like sizzling under the heat shield. i know my friend told me last night the next time it happens feel the cold side pipe if its hot its the intercooler is this tru?
that sounds like some heat soak since you said it only happens after beating on the car. yes you can touch the hot side pipe then the cold side and compare, you can also do the same to your actual intercooler.

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you logging AIT or water temp? Any boost leaks?

i dont know how to log the temps but my car doesnt over heat it stays right below the middle where its suppse to be. i checked for boost leaks but i couldnt find any.

that sounds like some heat soak since you said it only happens after beating on the car. yes you can touch the hot side pipe then the cold side and compare, you can also do the same to your actual intercooler.

thanks i m going to try this when i go home tn, for somereason when i go to work in the morning on the parkway i beat on it here and there but doesnt seem to lose the power but i felt the cold side today when i stoped at work it was warm not hot but maybe tn it ll be hot

·
White 2.0T A/T
772 Posts
lol im surprised it takes that long to heat soak that CX core.

Threadstone maybe? Im sure they have a size you could use.
Sj, between a treadstone core and a depo racing core which do you think looks better? I know depo is on the cheaper side but currently those are my two options for cores as I can get good prices on both. The pictures that that one guy posted about the tr8 looked pretty good but it looked slightly too dense but I'm no expert at all. What do you think? I'm surprised about the CX core taking that long too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
745 Posts
The noise you Probally here is just your turbo expanding and contracting after getting hot. Nothing wrong with that and is perfectly normal after a good beating. There's nothing an intercooler can do about that.

You hook up an OBD and read your IAT temps over the course of driving to see if the intercooler is doing its job.

·
SUN★WORKS
56,362 Posts
Sj, between a treadstone core and a depo racing core which do you think looks better? I know depo is on the cheaper side but currently those are my two options for cores as I can get good prices on both. The pictures that that one guy posted about the tr8 looked pretty good but it looked slightly too dense but I'm no expert at all. What do you think? I'm surprised about the CX core taking that long too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Id go for the threadstone core over depo.

·
The 1st 2000GT
1,872 Posts
AEM has one of the best antilag setups, it's piping design results in a ~20%shorter piping, meaning, boost needs to travel less to get to the engine, also the fact that it uses the sotkc radiator fan to cool it a low wind speeds. Kamak is a traditional design with little fin desity and such, i'm sure it's better then cxracing, but not enough when you looking for major power
How well do you think it would hold up with a Base tune, and it being a track day/ DD car? I'm not looking for major hp. Max I'll go is 280-300

·
Jedi Master
6,461 Posts
How well do you think it would hold up with a Base tune, and it being a track day/ DD car? I'm not looking for major hp. Max I'll go is 280-300

thats a matter of opinion and can start a argument so i'm not going there.

but for OP go treadstone or garrett if depo was to big for you in size, both company's make variable size intercoolers and they are dense fin design so they'll do more cooling per square inch

·
Registered
593 Posts
treadstone TR8, you can get it for 250$ shipped and i've heard it's way better than the depo

·
The 1st 2000GT
1,872 Posts
^this is true, both are phenomenal IC's and will flow more than you would ever need Nikko, especially the Garrett's.

Cris, anyway you could just PM me? I realized that my original post kinda derailed this thread, and I cant seem to find much info on this IC. You seem like you know more than i do!:)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts