Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
KingA524
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got new brake pads 3.5k miles ago. I’m at 61k now. I’ve been noticing when I’m slowing down (coasting around 5–15mph), I hear a droning kind of sound. I can’t really hear it when I go faster then 15mph. It doesn’t get any louder when I brake, maybe minimally. I was thinking it’s the front wheel bearings, but I don’t hear any clicking when making any turns, including right turns. It doesn’t sound overly destructive, but I thought any one of you guys could help diagnose.

·
Premium Member
14,842 Posts
check your suspension rubber parts, then if you can't find what might be causing it, change out the hub.

Clicking would happen on a drive wheel and usually means bad cv axle.

You can jack up on of the front corners and spin the wheel by hand to see which on is droning.
You can also do the wiggle test, but when mine went bad, it didn't wiggle. I reasoned it being because they are sealed units, but could be wrong.

On these cars, the bearings aren't replaceable, meaning the hub would have to be replaced.
Once the rotors are off, it only takes about 20 minutes to zip off and replace both front hubs.
They are held on by I think four 17mm or 19mm bolts per corner.

disconnect the the ABS connection, zip out the bolts with an impact, remove hubs (may need to bang on it a bit) then reverse process.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Also check your tire for cupping. Rub your hand flat over the tread to feel for any waves or uneven tread wear this can also cause an audible sound like road noise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts