Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tl;dr
Not sure I sanded rims initially enough or correctly, and then the aerosol paint can nozzle clogged then blew droplets of paint all over initial base coat.

More info:
First change to car since getting, wanted to get some semi-shine black rims with the car. Here was my process and it went wrong I think at two places, and maybe someone can help steer me in the right direction?

1) Hours of videos and tutorials for painting rims, wheels, car panels, etc - check
2) Supplies all gathered (rustoleum automotive primer + gloss black auto enamel paint, scotch brite, masking stuff, and all supporting goodies) - check
3) Jacked car up - check

4) Wheels off and ready - check

5) Washed rims in 80/20 dish soap mix to degrease, super clean and looking good
6) Used fine scotch brite pad to scuff rims evenly (spent about ten minutes per rim getting all the nooks)
7) Washed and dried in Texas sun (bounced rims to removed excess water, too)
8) Transport rims to porch for painting, a sucky place to do it but apt management wasn't fond of paint in their parking lot

9) Prepped wheels with index cards and masking etc
10) Lay down primer in three coats, first one light, ten minute flash, second one moderate, ten minute flash, third moderate

This is when things started looking bad. After primer was well placed, noticed a few things:
a) Pockets of lighter v darker primer (did I not sand/scuff evenly, or even enough?)
b) Almost looking like small sand traps of differently colored primer and in some areas noticed lots of pebbly pockmarks in the paint, but came off easily with tack cloth

11) Lay first coat of gloss black base. shook two minutes, was 74 outside, test fired aerosol can, looking good. brand new can. begin first spray on first rim, small puff of air interrupts flow....pause, shake, push down nozzle and paint bubbles burst from nozzle, some leaks down side of can and decides to jackson pollock all over first wheel. Expletives, rushing to removed splotches and things just don't ever recover. Second can of rustoleum does same thing about a minute after spraying other wheels. 2/4 wheels utterly ruined. No pics because the world doesn't need to see it.

SO I now have four rims that have questionable sanding practices on it, with three layers of primer that apparently doesn't want to adhere to the metal, comes off with rubbing of finger, cured for four days in texas sun... and has just two light coats of base with enough splotches on each wheel to make the Met Art Museum want to open a special gallery. No clear because I know it's jacked and why clear over something I'll have to correct.

Do I try to 600 wet sand the top layers of based off and respray base coat presumably without terrible splattering cans? Do I 320 back to metal and try better sanding on the base metal? Aircraft stripper down to bare metal and start again? Any help and guidance would be great. I thought I knew what I was doing but not sure I scuffed properly (every tutorial just says "scuff the surface to help primer adhere....") and then the base cans spewed droplets and dripped EVERYWHERE.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Start again my friend. Use aircraft grade paint remover. Strip then down.

Honestly if you want them "painted" take them to a powder coater.

If you want a stop gap fix the way they are, use plasti dip. Have fun relax. Dont stress out dude. Experiment. They have mettalics, metalyzers. You ll be pleasantly surprised. Then when the time comes. PULL IT OFF. LOL

Depending on what they are made of, here in INDY, some industrial annodizers will do wheels.

·
Registered
62 Posts
What Gaijinn said.

Also, you really shouldn't be using your jack to hold the car up like that.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Ok , I just successfully "chameleon painted" my stock wheels.

I figured, what the hell, its my winter setup.

OMG. They are F--king beautiful.

What I started with. Stock wheels painted gloss black. 5 coats of UREKEMs TOKYO drift, and 2 coats of EASTWOOD 2 stage gloss clear.

I would do a whole instructional DIY, but this forums picture tool sucks ass.

Check these out, bad ass!!!
Post 145,...Check out the Chameleon hood and trunk dudes !!!!
GAIJIIN's 1.6 build - Page 15

·
Been there, but forgot it
161 Posts

·
Been there, but forgot it
161 Posts
Here is a pic with my newly mounted winter tires on the stock rims that I plasti-coated black:

And here it is before, on my summer autocross rims I got cheap, powder coated, forged aluminum from an Infinity.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Those Autocross rims would look sick with just the sides of the spokes plasti dipped in black... Just my .02 cents though!

·
In Charge of Snacks
2,109 Posts
Paying a powder coater is perhaps the best value for money in all the domain of automobilia. I don't know why more custom minded folk don't do it. I know a lot of you DIY guys live on principal, and that's cool, not trying to ruffle feathers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts