Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone. I am in the market for new wheels and tires and i finally decided on varrstoens.
I wil be getting the 2.2.2 19x9.5 +22 and 19x10.5 +22 with 235/35 and 275/35. the vendor is offering me mayrun tires for a wheel and tire package. He is offering me Mayrun tires which I've never heard of and he even said those are cheap tires.
So my question is: does it matter what brand of tire you buy for your wheels?
This is my daily drive and i dont take it to the track.

·
Registered
721 Posts
You get what you pay for essentially. I would rather spend $200 more and get a brand name tire then some Chinese tire. I mean your life is riding on those tires and if they fail is it really worth it over $200? If money is tight, just wait a bit longer.

All imo

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea you're right. Money is not tight. Thats what he was offering me and when he told me the price I instantly thought they were cheap tires.

·
Registered
721 Posts
See if he can offer a price with a better tire and see how bad it is. Some cheap tires are actually great tires like Achilles ATR Sport. Maybe read some reviews if you can find any.

·
Euntes Pro Fregit
1,888 Posts
Hey man, a lot of people have started running Achilles ATS Sport tires.

You can check a place like Discount Tire or Tire Rack and a set of ATS Sports will run you $650ish or you can check out eBay and order them through tires-easy (wont link since they're not a vendor) and you'll spend $450ish after shipping.

I've got no idea how much Mayrun tires cost, but they can't be much less than the $100/tire you'll pay for the Achilles (which actually have a longer tread life than our stock Potenzas).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
40,514 Posts
I guess the assumption here is that a named brand tire isn't made in China? So... you should probably stay away from Cooper, Kumho, Pirelli, Sumitomo, and Toyo... because those are all made in China.

Using that logic, you should also stay away from BF Goodrich since some of their tires are made in Romania... Continental and General since some of their tires are made in Brazil, and Bridgestone and Falken since their tires are made in Thailand.

Low price can be a result of one or more factors. It could be that they are using less expensive materials or the labor rates in the country of manufacture is significantly lower. This does not always mean that the quality is deficient. For instance, I bet you probably didn't know that 48% of the world's rubber that is used to manufacture tires comes from China, India, and Malaysia. Generally speaking, the closer you are to the source of raw materials, the less expensive the manufacturing process.

You cannot rely on the manufacturing country of origin (or the name brand stamped on the side of the tire) to make a quality determination. I had a set of Goodyear Assurance ComforTreds for my Sebring Convertible. Damned things wore out in about 20K miles and were replaced because the tread life warranty suggested that the tires should have lasted 70K. Not like I was racing and drifting in my convertible either. $$'s spent don't guarantee quality either. Our stock Potenza RE92As are among the most expensive tires that you can buy, yet rate much lower on the performance scale than a good many tires that cost much less.

With regard to Mayrun tires, if you do a search you will find that there are a number of forums that have this same discussion about the quality and performance of the tire. To my knowledge there aren't any formal reviews or comparisons available to date. The consensus seems to be that these are okay tires. Not great... but not something that you should avoid at all costs. Certainly they do not pose a danger to yourself or your family. Bottom line is that they may be really good tires or they may wear out in 20K miles and you are going to have to replace them. With the lack of good comparisons out there on the internet, its hard to say exactly how they will perform.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess the assumption here is that a named brand tire isn't made in China? So... you should probably stay away from Cooper, Kumho, Pirelli, Sumitomo, and Toyo... because those are all made in China.

Using that logic, you should also stay away from BF Goodrich since some of their tires are made in Romania... Continental and General since some of their tires are made in Brazil, and Bridgestone and Falken since their tires are made in Thailand.

Low price can be a result of one or more factors. It could be that they are using less expensive materials or the labor rates in the country of manufacture is significantly lower. This does not always mean that the quality is deficient. For instance, I bet you probably didn't know that 48% of the world's rubber that is used to manufacture tires comes from China, India, and Malaysia. Generally speaking, the closer you are to the source of raw materials, the less expensive the manufacturing process.

You cannot rely on the manufacturing country of origin (or the name brand stamped on the side of the tire) to make a quality determination. I had a set of Goodyear Assurance ComforTreds for my Sebring Convertible. Damned things wore out in about 20K miles and were replaced because the tread life warranty suggested that the tires should have lasted 70K. Not like I was racing and drifting in my convertible either. $$'s spent don't guarantee quality either. Our stock Potenza RE92As are among the most expensive tires that you can buy, yet rate much lower on the performance scale than a good many tires that cost much less.

With regard to Mayrun tires, if you do a search you will find that there are a number of forums that have this same discussion about the quality and performance of the tire. To my knowledge there aren't any formal reviews or comparisons available to date. The consensus seems to be that these are okay tires. Not great... but not something that you should avoid at all costs. Certainly they do not pose a danger to yourself or your family. Bottom line is that they may be really good tires or they may wear out in 20K miles and you are going to have to replace them. With the lack of good comparisons out there on the internet, its hard to say exactly how they will perform.
Those mayrun tires are also made in china. So stay away from those or should i take a risk and see how long they will last?

·
Premium Member
40,514 Posts
You don't read into sarcasm very well, do you? Made in China does not automatically equate to cheap anymore. The Chinese are in a position where they have to compete more on a world market that has brought their prices down to a competitive level. They've upped their quality and most likely will continue to improve in the coming years as competition gets tighter.

·
Premium Member
40,514 Posts
They should be fine... but you are getting a cheap tire. Don't have high expectations for performance or durability.

·
Premium Member
40,514 Posts
Kewl.

·
Timbit Biter
1,775 Posts
When buying new shoes for your feet, does the brand matter, or do you buy your shoes at Walmart?

·
Timbit Biter
1,775 Posts
Just because a tire is expensive doesn't mean it will be durable and perform well. Some of the best performing tires only last about 10k miles because they are very soft. Some of the most durable tires don't perform well because they are so hard. It's always a compromise between performance and longevity, and that's where the price tends to go up...when you have a tire with both performance and longevity.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so what brand would you suggest. I just plan to use them for the summer and not taking it to the track or anything like that. regular driven

·
U wot M8
1,908 Posts
I'm no brand snob, but i couldn't buy anything from an automotive company that didn't have the foresight to see the irony of "May Run" tires in the english language.

I like my Nankang NS-IIs, good in wet and dry and pretty cheap probably the best under $200/tire. Falken, Hankook or Vredestein would be my low $200/tire brands of choice.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts