Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my car hit 300,000 km on it and its a senior now in my eyes and what i want to know is at this stage of the cars life, what upgrades and replacements etc should i be doing?

I just replaced 2 front calipers which were totally seized up.

I want to change my spark plugs but i dont know which brand and what gap to use? I am stock just got a catback exhaust and cold air intake.

I think i need to clean my throttle body amd pivot points, i read there was a TBS on this and it would explain why my boost is kinda low and non existent at times...

Anything else you guys can recommend?

Thanks!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so i replaced the spark plugs with the oem densos and they came pregapped at around .28 already so no need to adjust them. The plugs that were in there before were also denso iridiums but the gap on them were huge like it looked like .40 or maybe more.

The throttle body was also cleaned and omg was it dirty. It looked like someone spilled a coffee in there that solidified with light brown to dark brown to black deposits. Brake cleaner and a mr.clean magic eraser was used and the gasket was torn and i had to reuse since i wasnt able to get one from the dealership as it was out of stock. Will replace the gasket next week. So...when i drove the car..wow. my power, boost, was back! The car is fun to drive again. I just wish i knew what caused this, was it the spark plugs or the cleaning of the throttle body?

Also..how often should the throttle body be cleaned?

So...the only other issue i got on the car is a p0068 code. My mechanic friend thinks i need to get a new MAP sensor. So the symptoms i have are rough start up and idle. Lots of car vibrations/shaking. I did read the p0068 code can cause this.

Im not sure how to solve the p0068 code. It could be a variety of issues causing that code.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,940 Posts
When the car s first came out .040 was the gap everyone recommended ut they came from the factory at .028 or so. So someone must have changed the plugs once already.

Throttle bodies need cleaning when they need it. Usually not too often though. Catch can probably would help.

The P0068 is a MAP sensor, wiring or throttle pedal position error.. I would clear and see if it comes back.

P0068 Manifold pressure (MAP) sensor/Mass air flow (MAF) sensor – throttle position correlation Wiring, MAP sensor, MAF sensor, mechanical fault

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the code was cleared and it didnt pop back up as a CEL. on the scanner no dtc codes show up but the p0068 error code still shows up as a permanent issue on the scanner. My mechanic friend said it may just be his scanner or the problem is still there.
The rough startup and idle makes me believe the issue still exists.

He wants me to replace my map sensor and see if that stops the rough start up and idle and also removes the p0068 code from the scanner.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok cool ill show my mechanic this. There are 2 map sensors. 1 on intercooler and 1 on intake manifold. Which map sensor is this we are diagnosing? The intake manifold i presume?

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,940 Posts
Yes the intake it also has the Intake Air Sensor in it, other wise the MAPs work the same. Just shows pre throttle body pressure instead.

You usually have to add the actual static pressure to the reading to get the actual static reading I think. So if it's way off look into that.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,940 Posts
Check the fuel tank purge valve located by the intake manifold. It's on the hose that has the Ss in them. These will wax up with some fuels and leak. Not enough to trip evap codes though.

When it is idling rough, pinch this hose closed to see if the idle changes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts