Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
13' GenCoupe 3.8 GT
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All;

Can't seem to find any answers via research to a pretty specific issue, wondering if anyone has any ideas or has encountered this. My 3.8 2013 Gen' GT was making a whining noise, after research I came to the likely conclusion that it was the fuel pump (others past experience). I have since purchased the new pump (Deatshwerks) but have yet to install. Driving this morning, while enjoying the annoying whine of the pump, a NEW whine began that sounds like it is from the front end. The volume correlates exactly with the RPM of the car, whether clutch is in or out, and also in neutral. It isn't only when I depress clutch or release it, it correlates with the gas pedal. With the hood open it isn't as apparent as in the driver seat (could be due to higher rpm or load? idk) and certainly doesn't sound like any of the belts are causing the issue.

Could it still be an internal transmission bearing, trans pump, or likely something else? On a side note, just the day before I used a full can of CRC Intake Valve Cleaner on her, all went well. The noise didn't begin until the following morning; most likely unrelated?

Any ideas? Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

·
In Charge of Snacks
2,063 Posts
Recently I had my power steering pump start whining. Only a factory fresh replacement will kill the noise. Rebuilt units sound just as bad. Another user had the exact same sound coming from his AC Compressor. His video recording sounded IDENTICAL to my PS pump issues. Also annoying, both the idler pulley and the tensioner idler pulley make a similar sound when they go bad. I haven't heard of anybody getting a whining noise from the water pump, nor have I heard of an alternator failure where the bearings went before the electronics.

In summary, You need to concern yourself with the power steering pump, the idler pulleys, and the AC compressor. Depending on the miles you might as well go ahead and replace the idler pulleys for good measure. You can determine if it's the power steering pump by listening for any pitch change in the whine with the engine running and turning the wheels back and forth. If that doesn't happen, you can be pretty sure the noise is the AC compressor or idler pulleys.

Hope I helped!

·
13' GenCoupe 3.8 GT
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Recently I had my power steering pump start whining. Only a factory fresh replacement will kill the noise. Rebuilt units sound just as bad. Another user had the exact same sound coming from his AC Compressor. His video recording sounded IDENTICAL to my PS pump issues. Also annoying, both the idler pulley and the tensioner idler pulley make a similar sound when they go bad. I haven't heard of anybody getting a whining noise from the water pump, nor have I heard of an alternator failure where the bearings went before the electronics.

In summary, You need to concern yourself with the power steering pump, the idler pulleys, and the AC compressor. Depending on the miles you might as well go ahead and replace the idler pulleys for good measure. You can determine if it's the power steering pump by listening for any pitch change in the whine with the engine running and turning the wheels back and forth. If that doesn't happen, you can be pretty sure the noise is the AC compressor or idler pulleys.

Hope I helped!
Thanks Ode, that does help.
The noise isn't when turning the wheel at all so I think the power steering pump is out. My AC hasn't worked since I bought the car... it's cold here in Southern Ontario so I haven't had the need for it yet. Do not have a great deal of knowledge in this area but I doubt the AC compressor would need to operate with the heat on (could be wrong!)? I will turn fans and heat off and see if that makes a difference. If it still occurs, I will look to the idler pulley! Car has about 170,000 kms. Thanks for the advice.

·
In Charge of Snacks
2,063 Posts
Before you dismiss the AC, remember that it effectively has two pulleys in one. It has an idler that runs on one big bearing when the AC clutch is not engaged, and then the pump itself runs on a separate set of coaxial bearings. In other words, even without the AC running, you can have an AC compressor failure.

·
Premium Member
14,986 Posts
to check if it's on of the pulleys, take off the belt (remember to take a pic of of how it's run) then start the engine for like 15 seconds. If it runs and no noise then you will know that it's either a pulley, or one of the accessories.

To check if it's a pulley, with the belt off, spin each pulley, if it doesn't spin smoothly and feels crispy, then the bearing is bad. If they are fine, then it's either AC pump, water pump, alternator, or power steering pump.

·
13' GenCoupe 3.8 GT
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Before you dismiss the AC, remember that it effectively has two pulleys in one. It has an idler that runs on one big bearing when the AC clutch is not engaged, and then the pump itself runs on a separate set of coaxial bearings. In other words, even without the AC running, you can have an AC compressor failure.
I never would have come up with that, thank you. I will do more digging in the engine bay.

·
13' GenCoupe 3.8 GT
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
to check if it's on of the pulleys, take off the belt (remember to take a pic of of how it's run) then start the engine for like 15 seconds. If it runs and no noise then you will know that it's either a pulley, or one of the accessories.

To check if it's a pulley, with the belt off, spin each pulley, if it doesn't spin smoothly and feels crispy, then the bearing is bad. If they are fine, then it's either AC pump, water pump, alternator, or power steering pump.
I will try give that a shot. The only issue is the whining gets louder with the throttle. Can I leave in neutral and hit the gas with pulley removed? Sounds like it may cause damage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I will try give that a shot. The only issue is the whining gets louder with the throttle. Can I leave in neutral and hit the gas with pulley removed? Sounds like it may cause damage.
As long as you don’t run it for too long you should be okay. The only real issue you would come across if you leave it running for a long time is lack of coolant being pumped to cool the engine, and maybe killing the battery without the alternator being driven.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts