Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car just started making a strange whistling noise when i go into boost. Its not a normal boosting noise. The whistle almost sounds like a belt slipping or rubbing on something, I dont see anything obvouse near the belts though. Duno what it is, anyone have a clue? Ill try to get a video later so you can hear it. Happens as soon as i enter boost and stays pretty constant. At times it almost sounds like a cherp from the blow off valve, but its way more high pitch than what mine usually sounds like. Hoping its something small like a boost leak and not my turbo going out... The car still holds boost.

Iv tried to see if i can hear where the noise is coming from with my hood open while the car is idle but it doesnt really make the noise at idle. You can kinda hear maybe a very faint high pitch noise but hard to tell where its coming from. Doesnt seem to be coming form the turbo though, somewhere in the engine maybe. When i am in boost though it is a VERY loud squelling screaching chirpy noise if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
After doing a little bit of research on blown turbos they apparently start sounding like a belt slipping when they go bad...Starting to think its the turbo, going to remove the intake and check the compressor wheel for any shaft play when i get off work.

Also when i installed the stage 3 turbo it had quite a bit of carbon deposit on the blades. When i took my stock turbo off the blades looked clean and brand new. Both the stage 3 turbo and my stock turbo had around 30k miles on them at the time, didnt think much of it but does that clue anyone in on a possible issue with the turbo?

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
umm what would a belt have to do with the turbo?

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
umm what would a belt have to do with the turbo?
Well it sounds kinda like a slipping belt, but that doesnt exactly mean it IS a slipping belt. Its just the closest thing i could think of to describe the noise.

Also noticed my power steering fluid is low.... wonder if that is related to the noise somehow? Going to grab some fluid this weekend and see if the noise goes away.

Im just throwing dots out (anything abnormal) hoping someone can maybe connect them lol.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
if it was a belt you would probably feel the loss of power, the powersteering might have something to do with it if its low and maybve sucking air or something.

·
Bam-Ba-Lam!!!
2,302 Posts
if it was a belt you would probably feel the loss of power, the powersteering might have something to do with it if its low and maybve sucking air or something.
He's not saying it is a belt. He is saying that the sound from a blown turbo generally gets mistaken for a loose belt. Which is what he initially thought.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Huh never had the luck of experiencing that first hand so thanks for that.

Side note, i still can get over how cool your wheels are hahaha

·
Registered
299 Posts
Side note, i still can get over how cool your wheels are hahaha
Yea no joke they just pop! I don't love them but I don't hate them either

Back to topic Generally Turbos at full boost will make a fluctuating whistling noise, My srt4 did that & the Gen does the exact same thing so I don't think it's a bad turbo unless your turbo isn't reaching stock boost levels or not holding.

·
Captain Awesomesauce
2,743 Posts
I had a whistling noise when my upper IC pipe popped off the turbo. It was obvious what it was though because the power would just die. Check for a boost leak.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the exact same sound I think. I just put on a fmic and when ever I go above 5psi I get that sound. I'm pretty sure it's coming from my HKS BOV. Idk how to fix it :(

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'm also having this slipping belt kind of noise. But the sound goes after a short period of hard driving. Just check your exhaust manifold if there are any missing nuts. I have one of them missing and I think that is where the sound is coming from(I even saw some carbon deposit under the heat shield right around that area which indicated a leak) but I did not bother to fix it yet.

I think it is an exhaust leak from the manifold and something gets sealed up when the manifold becomes hot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts