Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 2.0t, its got 150k miles. I had oil leaking from my valve cover, replaced that seal. But for the past week now i have white smoke coming out of my exhaust only sometimes when the engine is warm. The car also has trouble starting and misfires when starting up warm. Cold starts are just fine, starts like a gem.. I replaced spark plugs, old plugs looked good. I did see a bit of liquid in one of the cylinders. My oil looks fine, stilla good level, my coolant level is fine. One thing i did notice is my oil temp gauge freaks out when the engine is warm too, goes from cold to hot when driving. Anyone know what the issue could be. I know its likely the head gasket, but it just doesn't make sense why it would be that if my coolant and oil look good..thanks

·
Advenio Pariter
3,984 Posts
White smoke is indicative of water (coolant). You could have a head gasket leak from a coolant channel into a cylinder. After the engine is shut off you may get some coolant weeping into the cylinder from the higher coolant pressure. I would expect over time your coolant level might drop.

Reactions: mikeb1031

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
any noticeable symptoms of cracked head? thats my worry

·
Registered
2013 3.8 Track 8 Speed
478 Posts
Smell the exhaust. Sometimes you can smell the coolant. It's a sweat smell. Note always..but sometimes.
White can also be oil blow by. Black is excess fuel.

·
Premium Member
16,246 Posts
any noticeable symptoms of cracked head? thats my worry
There hasn't been any reports for that last 11 years (that I heard of), that these or similar engines (other kia/hyundai RWD and FWD theta engines), have heads that are prone to cracking.

If anything, if there is a coolant coming out of the exhaust, it's a head gasket failure.
Cause of this can vary from gasket just letting go because of age, to the head and/or block warping because of prolonged overheating.

If I were you, I would do an oil change, to see how milky the oil is getting.
If unnoticeable, then you can put it in the "I should do it soon" category.
If the oil starting to look grey and opaque, then get it fixed, ASAP.

And no, coolant can't enter the exhaust from the turbo. That's not how it works.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
**UPDATE:
Thanks for your help btw.

so I brought it to the shop, they said it passed the leak test but there’s coolant in the cylinders. Oil looks okay. They wanted to replace the engine for 9k. I said no thanks and walked outof there lol. I’ll have to replace the head gasket myself and just ordered the parts.
HOWEVER!
I put Bar Leaks Head gasket sealer in my radiator and it seems to have worked. No more smoke, car now runs like a gem. I know it’s a temporary fix, but it should give me a couple weeks to get everything sorted out. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
16,246 Posts
**UPDATE:

so I brought it to the shop, they said it passed the leak test but there’s coolant in the cylinders. Oil looks okay. They wanted to replace the engine for 9k. I said no thanks and walked outof there lol. I’ll have to replace the head gasket myself and just ordered the parts.
HOWEVER!
I put Bar Leaks Head gasket sealer in my radiator and it seems to have worked. No more smoke, car now runs like a gem. I know it’s a temporary fix, but it should give me a couple weeks to get everything sorted out. Thanks again
You just made more work for yourself.
Those leak additives usually causes more issues than it solves. I would have just put a raw egg in a cold coolant system, and run it until engine gets up to temp.

This way the "additive" will eventual break down when you want to fix the issue.

·
Registered
131 Posts
**UPDATE:

HOWEVER!
yea be careful w/ that Bar leaks stuff. I made mistake of using some kind of stop leak & when i finally got to tear engine down (alfa engine w/ sleeves )they looked like rubber coating on sleeves, also radiator plugged up but that was just me . however i wouldn't use again. I would just make sure everything is flat. you say head cracking is not an issue good ! If you want to get off on cheap , get a scrap of countertop marble w/ sandpaper & clean off head. you can always take it to machine shop if not flat.(spray FPI kits fluorescent penetrant) are $60-$80 at walmart wow!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts