Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that there are these white spots on the radiator hose. I tried wiping with a shop towel dampened with distilled water and it didn't seem to do anything. Does anyone know what this is?
and if it's a sign of a bigger issue?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Hit it with some solvent or 70% alchohol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
It looks like theres more towards the front right next to the coolant reservoir cap. Could the reservoir just be overfilled and some coolant is coming out the cap when hot?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like theres more towards the front right next to the coolant reservoir cap. Could the reservoir just be overfilled and some coolant is coming out the cap when hot?
The coolant reservoir is filled slightly under half-way between Full and Low when the car is completely cold. While the location of the white dots indicates it could be the coolant reservoir, I don't notice any sort of spray anywhere else close by. In the picture, there's not any white stuff between the cap and hose.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is completely normal, its from antifreeze droplets that get burned on the hose (by the regular heat of the engine). This is NOT a serious concern, but can be easily fixed for 15-20$ by just replacing the hose.

Worked for as a tech in college, one in 10 cars or so has this, usually on the lower hose where you wouldn't see a spill.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is completely normal, its from antifreeze droplets that get burned on the hose (by the regular heat of the engine). This is NOT a serious concern, but can be easily fixed for 15-20$ by just replacing the hose.

Worked for as a tech in college, one in 10 cars or so has this, usually on the lower hose where you wouldn't see a spill.
Ok. This is the first I've ever seen this in my 9 years of owning the car, so I was a little concerned. Coolant droplets shouldn't be doing that though, right? Like this means that coolant sprayed from the reservoir cap?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Edited my last post 3 times and now its 'pending moderator approval'

so I'll re-post it in case ya'll cant see it.

Yes, look at the concentration of where the spots are near that coolant cap. Remember also that with that belt whizzing right next to it, its no surprise that the coolant flew around everywhere, and you can see it also in that black bracket on the right side. (faintly)

Its also important to recognize just how small those droplets are, my guess is at one point someone had it on with a extremely small leak it in and the pressure forced a few droplets out.

For piece of mind if you want to replace the cap its justified, but this isn't indicative of the cap failing only that at some point it did, and very slightly so.

In our shop we would use this to sell a new cap and related ripoffs (why I hated the industry) but you should honestly be fine.

I would pull the cap and check the seal, if its all good I wouldn't personally replace it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts