Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reason for Genesis is no cars out there have much identity I mean all SUBARU'S look alike all Civics look alike all these cars pretty much look alike after you customize them their owners can't even come up with anything that distinguish them which is sad Best cars where 90'$ JDM scene then came Hyundai with the coupe and Veloster to change it up now only if they stepped up their powerplants and then.....

·
shorttrack
1,605 Posts
Sad thing is , the Koreans don't get . Designs are good but product execution is substandard along with cooperate support .I purchased my Gen Coupe knowing it's faults and set out to improve upon them in my own way . The minor changes I done could have been done from the factory but that is just not Hyundai's way

·
Premium Member
14,842 Posts
I got mine because I was following the development since the concept was debut'd back in, I think 2006?

The chassis is pretty good, though pretty heavy compared to others; and compared to other recent cars, it's probably the easiest car to working on, mechanically and engine bay-wise. Though the starter location seemed to be an after thought.

The engine, engineering is sub par IMO.

If you know anything, most cars from the 90s are a nightmare to work on. Most of them you have to take apart almost half the engine to get to a sensor, or even get at the spark plugs.... *cough* vr-4

·
Registered
956 Posts
I was a mechanic back in the dark days. (80's-90's) those were some dark times in the automotive industry.
Ive read somewhere before that all mass market vehicles are built "down to a price" as opposed to "up to a standard". The designs start off good,(usually), then they need yo figure out how and where to save dollars to maximize profit. I get it, their in business to make money. I think lately Hyundai/KIA do a much better job at this than most other manufacturers.

·
shorttrack
1,605 Posts
I was a mechanic back in the dark days. (80's-90's) those were some dark times in the automotive industry.
Ive read somewhere before that all mass market vehicles are built "down to a price" as opposed to "up to a standard". The designs start off good,(usually), then they need yo figure out how and where to save dollars to maximize profit. I get it, their in business to make money. I think lately Hyundai/KIA do a much better job at this than most other manufacturers.
I was auto mechanic and built race cars at my house in the 1980's and 1990's .It was much easier back then I think .Cars have been built cheaper with focus on interior looks and low engine noise as a selling point . The key word is "built Cheap" .The genesis coupe is such a car but has good balance for what I wanted .Low price ,rear wheel drive .It is a fun car because I get to SMASH the crap out of more expensive cars of all makes with a low investment and I can always tell these guys they got beat by a Hyundai .

·
Premium Member
14,842 Posts
Maybe for the domestic stuff, but a lot japanese stuff was over engineered for what they were. The Japanese approach in the 90s was to engineer for the higher end markets and trickle down the parts bin for the cheaper models. Pretty much what all the auto brands do today.

For US domestics, it was mostly: engineer designs a great thing, but forgets to put in previsons for maintenance; the penny pinchers go in and says no you can't have that, then yells at marketing, to go push this piece of crap.

The non-AMC and non-DSM based dodge stuff was the worst, all the way through late 2000s. same with cadillac.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts