Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

601 - 620 of 647 Posts

·
3point8 Performance
2,621 Posts

·
Advenio Pariter
3,846 Posts
You have the turbo-side located right above the turbo. That would be the hottest place in the engine bay, I believe. Turbo-side does not accumulate much unless you spend a lot of time in boost.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i think im finally convinced that i should get a catch can. Is there any new recommendations for catch cans for the first gen, a 2012? Im thinking about the Saikou Michi

·
Advenio Pariter
3,846 Posts
i think im finally convinced that i should get a catch can. Is there any new recommendations for catch cans for the first gen, a 2012? Im thinking about the Saikou Michi
The S-M can could be one of the best out there. For the money you cannot beat them. Go to their web site and look at how they are made. Once you see what is not being sucked into your intake tract you will be glad you installed one. On the turbo-side you do not need a full-sized can, but that does not hurt anything. My little JEGS oil separator works fine on my turbo -side.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The S-M can could be one of the best out there. For the money you cannot beat them. Go to their web site and look at how they are made. Once you see what is not being sucked into your intake tract you will be glad you installed one. On the turbo-side you do not need a full-sized can, but that does not hurt anything. My little JEGS oil separator works fine on my turbo -side.
I was thinking about running just a single setup and not a dual. Is that still alright?

·
Advenio Pariter
3,846 Posts
I was thinking about running just a single setup and not a dual. Is that still alright?
In a single setup you would do just the intake-side. The sides cannot be combined. Although there is little oil that comes from the turbo-side, if you take off your air intake you will note that it will have some oil inside of it. The oil from your turbo-side is actual engine oil. On the intake-side it is blow-by gases, water and other crap. Any catch can is a huge help.

·
3point8 Performance
2,621 Posts
I ran single in my SRT4 and I didn't have any oil in the intake until just recently. I realized the way the AEM designed the CAI was stupid so I fixed the way the vent tubing was routed so that it worked properly. I'm now getting oil in the intake which is causing KR (knock retard) and killing my tune. I'll be putting a catch can on that side this weekend.

Not sure what everyone else does, but I'd recommend using two if you can. They don't have the be expensive, just make sure they seal and that you use proper hose so it doesn't collapse. Just because it's solid when cold doesn't mean it'll be that way when hot.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
21 Posts
I ran single in my SRT4 and I didn't have any oil in the intake until just recently. I realized the way the AEM designed the CAI was stupid so I fixed the way the vent tubing was routed so that it worked properly. I'm now getting oil in the intake which is causing KR (knock retard) and killing my tune. I'll be putting a catch can on that side this weekend.

Not sure what everyone else does, but I'd recommend using two if you can. They don't have the be expensive, just make sure they seal and that you use proper hose so it doesn't collapse. Just because it's solid when cold doesn't mean it'll be that way when hot.

Just my $0.02
Ah I see, hmm maybe running two might be the best solution...

·
Advenio Pariter
3,846 Posts
There are lots of threads with pictures. As stated above we need to use closed cans to maintain the engine seal.

·
Midnight Mechanic
56 Posts
So what I've gathered is that the catch can I should use is going to be the Saikou Michi, and that I really need it from intake side but not from turbo side? Does anyone have pictures of this installed on a BK2 or possibly a link to an install video? The original link doesn't seem to be working. I appreciate it in advance. I've driven 30k miles since buying my Genesis and am about to get tuned in April. This is one of the last things I need to do. I take it that the saikou michi is better than the Greddy??

·
Super Moderator
13,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #613
Install procedure is the same for all 2.0Ts regardless of year. For ATs, they have an extra heat shield that needs a slight modification.

·
Super Moderator
13,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #615
Yeah, it's right where the can gets mounted. Some people have it, some don't, so I'm not sure what the requirement was for Hyundai to put it up there other than you have to have an automatic.

·
Midnight Mechanic
56 Posts
Where should I purchase this Saikou Michi Catch can from, best pricing/fastest shipping/etc? Appreciate the help in advance!

·
Registered
113 Posts
just went through all 21 pages before I got tired of reading lol....

I'm going to install a baffled non-vented OCCs X2 soon but i'm going to start with the driver side PCV side first and i'll post pics of my install as I go.

Lots of good info in here.

·
3point8 Performance
2,621 Posts
just went through all 21 pages before I got tired of reading lol....

I'm going to install a baffled non-vented OCCs X2 soon but i'm going to start with the driver side PCV side first and i'll post pics of my install as I go.

Lots of good info in here.
recommended you start with passenger side PCV first, not the vent (driver side) if you're 3.8.

·
Registered
113 Posts
recommended you start with passenger side PCV first, not the vent (driver side) if you're 3.8.
i'm 2.0T BK2, i'm getting the CC's off my buddy and he said he accumulated nothing on the intake side....but i'm picking the other one up from him when I get the cash....however the other side next to the drivers side headlight (side) he accumulates a lot more

please advise first time running cc's

601 - 620 of 647 Posts