Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

621 - 640 of 647 Posts

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,557 Posts
The turbo side should just be oil and is dependent on how high and how much of boost you are running. Although for the first time since having one on my Gen Coupe I got quite a bit of water from that side when I drained it a week ago. I ran it almost all last summer and it was unusually wet year.

The intake side is the blowby and what has most of the gunk, but you don't want oil going into your intercooler.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The turbo side should just be oil and is dependent on how high and how much of boost you are running. Although for the first time since having one on my Gen Coupe I got quite a bit of water from that side when I drained it a week ago. I ran it almost all last summer and it was unusually wet year.

The intake side is the blowby and what has most of the gunk, but you don't want oil going into your intercooler.
sorry that's what I meant the side by the drivers side headlight is the one accumulated the most while the passenger side accumulated basically nothing in 6+months time frame.

So which side should I start? if you had to choose one side? the drivers side headlight (PCV?) or the passenger side?

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently got a 2011 2.0T R-Spec 6 speed from my son and have been having a lot of trouble finding a manual for it. I see that you have shown them but the link I found did not work. Can you direct me to one that I can download?
Thanks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Read through and decided to get a catch can soon. Not sure if anyone could recommend a catch can (if opinions have changed since 2016) for a 2014 2.0t MT. I?m probably just going to do the driver side CC.

·
140 Posts
Read through and decided to get a catch can soon. Not sure if anyone could recommend a catch can (if opinions have changed since 2016) for a 2014 2.0t MT. I?m probably just going to do the driver side CC.
I get like 1-2 tablespoons worth every few weeks.

·
3point8 Performance
2,621 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I've had a problem with mine messing up the motor for some reason. Last Thursday when it was super cold I headed for the city and when I got there the engine was running rough and it took a limping moving slowly then catching and putting out lots of exhaust. I stopped and did some shopping and when I started up my 2.0T it still ran rough at idle so I headed for the dealership. I had to wait for journeyman to check it out and the code reader was saying something about running rich or something like that. The car cooled down enough to get back to smooth idle. The journeyman mechanic figured it was something to do with the "scavenger pump" known to us as the Oil Catch Can. The note on the service invoice said:

Last weeks mechanic report:

The check engine light had come on in the parking lot so they had a code to check:

“daig. Scanned dtcs, found p0172 bank one rich, check and inspect. Noted has kn filter, also noted scavenger system. Check oil level and condition, seems to be black and fueley again, checked for o2 trims, found upstream stuck way rich and downstream is not responding as should. Check tsb and recalls none avail. Cleaned codes and re road tested code did not return have a suspicion that the scavenger pump is recirculating to much crank case gasses and tricking the sensors, that or a possibility or either high fuel pressure or injector sticking (fuel in oil), will need more diagnostics, since code has not returned. Customer to monitor and if comes on again we may need to tear into it and diagnose further.”

The service manager told me about what the journey man found out and suggested I return the motor to stock by taking the OCC off to see if it helps or not. After I had supper and the car was cooled down from the return trip home I took the catch can hoses off and put the stock short hoses back on where they belonged. The car ran fine for the week and had no issues when I went to the city again to shop so I figure the catch can was the problem after all. Getting an oil change in three weeks to get good oil back in the motor and if the fuel in oil problem clears up that would clear up that problem as well. I put the can on shortly after getting my 2013 4 years ago so it’s strange the problem hasn’t showed up as drastically as before.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Entirely possible since the weather had dipped in the -20F/C and of course wind chill heading down a highway at 125Kph=77mph is bound to make that considerably colder. Still the can is disconnected to see how my car performs without it.

·
Advenio Pariter
3,846 Posts
Do you empty the can at every oil change? Mine fills-up much more in the winter with the cold weather. Additional condensation. My car is garaged so that effect is lessened. I did my 100k mile oil change a couple of weeks ago and I had a pretty decent drain amount. That always worries me since you do not want to over fill it and have your engine take in a gulp of crap into the intake. This has been a really cold winter down here in Pennsylvania...as evidenced by my oil heating bills so I stay on top of what might be getting accumulated into my cans.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Do you empty the can at every oil change? Mine fills-up much more in the winter with the cold weather. Additional condensation. My car is garaged so that effect is lessened. I did my 100k mile oil change a couple of weeks ago and I had a pretty decent drain amount. That always worries me since you do not want to over fill it and have your engine take in a gulp of crap into the intake. This has been a really cold winter down here in Pennsylvania...as evidenced by my oil heating bills so I stay on top of what might be getting accumulated into my cans.
Yep, that's what I usually do. I empty them while my oil is draining.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I dumped it more often that oil changes in between, only about 2500Km since it was last done so it didn't make sense that it was gassing the sensors to confuse the injectors. It was extra cold that week as well and I do plug my car in when it gets below -10C
like that even in the garage that cuts most cold nights in half temp wise. The garage isn't insulated but helps a lot over all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does the 2.0 just need one at the pcv or does it need another at the vent on the other side that goes pre turbo? I want one just need to put it in the right spot.

·
140 Posts
Does the 2.0 just need one at the pcv or does it need another at the vent on the other side that goes pre turbo? I want one just need to put it in the right spot.
I've got mine on the PVC side.

·
Advenio Pariter
3,846 Posts
Both sides. The turbo-side will gradually foul with oil along with your intercooler. I have pictures on here someplace, but I use a JEGS oil separator on my turbo-side and empty it once or twice a year. I have a Saiko-Michi can on the PCV side and empty it with every oil change. BTW, I have 104k miles and my engine still runs smooth and strong.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do I absolutely need a check valve? Can anyone link me a check valve because I'm not entirely sure what to be looking for and the DIY video snoopy put up is no longer available so I can't use that as a reference =(

621 - 640 of 647 Posts