Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew that turbos get hot. I mean they are driven by exhaust gasses after all. But this video really drove it home - made me truly realize why you need a really good motor oil and why you need to give your turbo time to cool before turning the engine off if you've been driving hard.

Turbochargers Withstand High Heat

You can jump forward to about the 2 minute mark if you want to skip to the good part.

·
Advenio Pariter
3,829 Posts
Nice video. Thanks.

Modern turbos are also water cooled which helps remove the heat. I think most of the turbo guys run full synthetic and keep their change intervals low. Fortunately, I live a about a mile from the highway. Once I leave the highway it is low speed residential driving which helps cool things off.

·
unce unce unce
2,854 Posts
Nice video. Thanks.

Modern turbos are also water cooled which helps remove the heat. I think most of the turbo guys run full synthetic and keep their change intervals low. Fortunately, I live a about a mile from the highway. Once I leave the highway it is low speed residential driving which helps cool things off.
I run 5W-30 full synthetic.

·
Registered
41 Posts
yeah i run 5w-30 full synthetic Mobile1, change every 3000 miles

·
Parts Pro & Lic Mechanic
1,286 Posts

·
Advenio Pariter
3,829 Posts
Mobile 1 Euro blend 0w-40. My engine seems to really like this over the Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30 I had in previously.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, what oil to use has been bugging me for a while. I'm probably over thinking it, but I've been doing a *lot* of research on oils recently. I found this cool website here that shows a spiderweb visual graph of the various oil specifications and what they focus on. I was surprised to find how little is covered by the API SN spec. There are also many specs that focus more on fuel economy to the detriment of wear protection. One of the best I found as far as engine wear protection was the VW 504/507 spec, 504 being for gas, 507 being for diesel. It also has a high HTHS which I think is important for our turbos. Unfortunately, in my understanding, VW 504 specifies a 30 weight oil, so it can't apply directly to higher weight oils. Whether an oil company does their own testing of a higher weight oil against the VW 504 spec is another story. Here's a web page (last updated 06/2010) of VW approved 504/507 oils.

The other thing I learned is the difference between the phrases "meets or exceeds" and "approved by". "Meets or exceeds" means that the oil company has done their own testing and *their conclusion* is that the oil meets or exceeds the spec. "Approved by" means that the oil company sent their oil to the vehicle builder, and it was tested and approved by the builder. If you trust your oil company testing their own product then "meets or exceeds" should work for you.

·
FS section ravager
2,183 Posts
"meets or exceeds" doesn't mean that it was tested in house unless they are certified to test to that spec.

I work at a third party lab for EMC testing (different but same concept) and I do that test and can occasionally put that.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Amsoil 5W-410 Euro Blend Full SAPS...

/Thread..

Just don't use it if you have any catalytic converters hahah

·
Parts Pro & Lic Mechanic
1,286 Posts
A lot of the high horsepower guys are not running water cooled turbos.
My question is why???????????

Other than fitment/clearance issues why wouldn't you want to remove as much heat as possible from these turbo bearings?

Lets not forget that turbo with use coolant for additional heat removal ALSO use the same coolant to heat the oil in colder weather thus allowing the coolant thermostat to regulate the core temperature better for longer bearing life.

Seems is must come down to "it's to complicated", "it doesn't need it"..................
It may not need it, but it won't hurt it and will only help it and allow a greater operating range.

Duro

·
SUN★WORKS
56,362 Posts
Non water cooled turbos are usually cheaper and look "cleaner" in the engine way without the additional lines.

IMO I rather have a water cooled turbo. Hell, my wastegate is capable of being water cooled (although, its not lol)

·
Parts Pro & Lic Mechanic
1,286 Posts
Non water cooled turbos are usually cheaper and look "cleaner" in the engine way without the additional lines.

IMO I rather have a water cooled turbo. Hell, my wastegate is capable of being water cooled (although, its not lol)
Never understood that, seems stupid to me.............build a $3000-$7000 turbo upgrade and save $300-$500 because it's NOT water-cooled, give me a break.

It's look cleaner.........Wait a minute you built a massive turbo car to look cool, those are really expensive parts just to "look cool".

I guess I build things to work and work well, visual additions are secondary and not worth the money unless there functional.

To each there own I guess...........

Duro

1 - 17 of 17 Posts