I want know what is u're Winter tire choice ? & Why
What is really important for a RWD in winter ? & why
The best qualité/price ratio is ?
Your impression ?

Thx a lot ;)

Mike
Winter tire choice ?
Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3, cuz it's asymetrical, has very high # in test results

What is really important for a RWD in winter ?
our RWD cars has OEM staggered setup, i feel more comfortable stayin' staggered, hense i went w/ asymetical tires, so that i can rotate them side to side

The best qualité/price ratio is ?
$1150 USD w/ change for 225/45, 245/45-18 w/ duty, pick up in buffalo, i would have to pay near $1400CAD if bought locally...

Your impression ?
dunno yet....ask me after the winter~

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts

I got Yokohama IG20's in 18", same setup/width as OEM 18"s.

I had to go with wheels since steelies weren't available to fit over the Brembos.

Paid ~2100$ after taxes for the tires and wheels.

They drive great, traction is very good in all types of bad weather, but they wear down pretty fast.

Non-Directional block thread pattern, so I can rotate them.

·
BioHazard Risk !
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The setup I finnaly chose
4 Rims universsel 17''
+
2 Tire Hancook W409 ipike Studded 215/55r17 Front
+
2 Tire Hancook W409 ipike Studded 225/55r17 Back

All include for 1100$ (Tx & balancing)

P.s. I will say later my impression of my Winter setup!
& I chose Steel Rims for winter because Lightweight wheel is easier to debalancing with snow inside!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts

I got Yokohama IG20's in 18", same setup/width as OEM 18"s.

I had to go with wheels since steelies weren't available to fit over the Brembos.

Paid ~2100$ after taxes for the tires and wheels.

They drive great, traction is very good in all types of bad weather, but they wear down pretty fast.

Non-Directional block thread pattern, so I can rotate them.
Same as me except I have the 17s, I don't have the brembos. Nicest winter rims I've seen so far. :) I got the dealership to throw them in for free when I bought the car, told them I wouldn't buy the car if they didn't. I wish I had known they were going to be this nice, when I bought the car I thought they were going to give me the black steelies since I was getting them for free. I would have asked for the 18s and not even bothered with aftermarket rims, I love these... they look way better than the OEM 18s.

·
Registered
481 Posts
When I buy mine in a week or so I will get Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 because of what has been mentioned, specially the test results. They will cost $850 plus mounting and balancing.

I will put them on my 18" OEM wheels.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Waiting for delivery from tirerack.
I went with Elbrus 103s in 18x8 all around and Michlien X-ice in 225/245/45/18.
I've got an Rspec with the Brembos and 19s. Wanted to keep the staggered set up for the handling, but went with 18s to get a little more rubber between the potholes and the rims.

Come spring time lets all review the results.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have 18" XXR 006s wrapped in Falken Eurowinter tires. Can't remember the sizes right now since I got them for last winter, but I am still running a staggered setup.

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
I just got Blizzak LM25s 225/40/19 in front, 265/35/19 in the rear on the OEM 19 wheels. The rears bulge a little bit, but so far its been good. Its been in the 30s and 40s and raining here and they are holding up well. Much better than my bald potenzas.

·
Señor Member
979 Posts
Just got Hankook iPike W409's in staggered 17s on steelies, very ugly but very cheap, cost me $980 CAD including tax and install/balance.

Ive only driven them home from the tire shop but theyre surprisingly quiet for winter tires.

·
Reader of many threads
1,424 Posts
Just got my Yokohama IG20 winters put on today.

Why Yokohama IG20? Eyeballed the tread pattern and it looked good for wet/snow traction. Dealership mounted them on Fast Tesla 18" rims to clear the brembos. ~$2500 all in.

What's Important? It all boils down to traction and predictability in corners. No spins + no getting stuck = good winter tire.

Quality/Price Ratio? I just pay for whatever gets good reviews and meets my stringent treadpattern eyeball test :D

Impressions? IG20's are noisy and feel like driving on sand when it's dry and warm (ya it's a winter tire)... gotta get some white on the roads before I can make a judgement call.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts

18"x8.5 Mitsubish Evo Rims by Enkei
225/45/18 and 245/45/18 Toyo Observe Garit KX

Needed to buy new lug nuts as the OEM ones on the 19" are aftermarket style whereas the Mitsu rims needed to non-tapered ones.

Also needed 5mm spacer on front because it was rubbing.

From what I've felt so far, there's more road noise because it is a winter tire (more tread blocks/sipes (the little squiggly cuts in the tread blocks). There's a little bit more flex in the sidewall because of the softer compound and the fact that I went from the OEM 19" to 18". Apart from that, the tires still handle very well and I can still turn while traveling at a pretty fast speed. Won't know how they handle in the snow/ice until it hits later this winter.

·
Joe-Shmoe
2,273 Posts
This will be my second winter with my set-up.
Mags are:

Brand: Uni-select Palmar
Model : Storm
Size: 17"x7"
Offset: +22
73.1mm Hub-Centric and requires a centering ring
Brake clearance is also not to bad, at around 1/4"

Got them used (was lucky)

Tires are
Nokian Hakkapelitta 5 (non-studded)
225/50/17
225/55/17

Drove all of last winter being pretty smooth on them when driving on dry pavement and they still look really fresh. I even enjoyed them on a Ice track a fellow car enthusiast created on the River. Had no where as near grip as the subbies with ice racing tires but just enough to not lose it and still have some fun. Never had any problem getting out of snow banks, climbing hills. Went skiing left and right. Excellent snow/ice tire.

As to be said that the LSD on the GT models makes a notable difference.

Very light set-up.

·
Registered
979 Posts
must be nice havin studded tires in the winter! But it ruins your roads over there!

·
Registered
543 Posts
i have a good suggestion for u (i live in quebec too)

Tires: i chose brigestone blizzaks but u can get whatever u want (i chose them cuz they have a good rating and i thought i would give them a chance, used the IG20's last year on my old car)

What is important: i think u deffs need weight in the trunk or no matter how good the tires are they wont have enough weight on them to grip in deep snow.

Im going to be using 17" tires, 225-50/17 front and 225-55/17 rear since the price of taking off tires and putting them back on in the spring is pretty much as much as expensive as rims. I also chose 17" because u have more tread (slightly lol).

I ordered off tire rack and i got 4 tires shipping and 4 mags (not steelies) for 1065 USD. I had them shipped to massena NY so that i can pick them up there. When u cross the ontario border the duties are cheaper :)
I really don't see duties being more than 100$ and with the dollar at par its a pretty sweet deal! They come with lug nuts, mounted and balanced, fitment rings and everything!

·
Registered
146 Posts
im running blizzaks living in NB

ice is my number one concern. i wont be driving the car in a snow storm just once the roads are clear so need something good on ice more than snow

price was great, bought of tire rack, lucked out on a sale

first year with the blizzaks on the GC but have had them on my other coupes, and f-150 4x4 and wouldnt even think about another company ( yes have tried many)

·
Boost Addict
1,478 Posts
Which Tires?
Bridgestone Blizzaks LM-25
225/40R19 all the way around
Price: $490 shipped after a $50 gift card

What is really important for a RWD in winter ?
Yes, for any car you would want winter tires but especially for a Rear wheel drive it will be a essential upgrade.

Impressions?
So far so good I've only been driving on them for the past few days but nothing wrong with them and no TCS issues with riding on a square setup. I'll update this once winters over.

Picture:

·
Joe-Shmoe
2,273 Posts
What is important: i think u deffs need weight in the trunk or no matter how good the tires are they wont have enough weight on them to grip in deep snow.
I advise against this. Our cars are relatively heavy with a good weight distribution unlike a pick-up truck. In a case of a high speed lost of control, the weights can shift around making the a spin out even worst. Someone lost his life last winter in a head one collision when the sand bags from his trunk fired through his back seat and hit him behind the headrest...

If you have invested in a good set of winter tires, you shouldn't be needing weights. If you do, you are doing it wrong.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you have invested in a good set of winter tires, you shouldn't be needing weights. If you do, you are doing it wrong.
I think you have been watching too much t.v. I am on my second year of my Bridgestone Blizzaks lm-60's on my 2.0 GT coupe and I totally agree that you need atleast 2/3 sandbags on each side in the trunk to give her a bit of weight. 55/45 front to rear weight distribution you pretty much sit there while your traction control is going off the hooks on ice or thin layers of snow no matter how good of a winter tire.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts