Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
title pretty much covers it. i have cat back, testpipes. so with that being said. if i had put an intake on would that be too many mods and make the engine light pop on or not.

2015 BK2 3.8

·
Registered
85 Posts
Shouldn't, I'm running the same setup. Should be fine. I personally don't know if the intake is worth it performance wise. I felt like I lost a little low end torque but it does look pretty.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shouldn't, I'm running the same setup. Should be fine. I personally don't know if the intake is worth it performance wise. I felt like I lost a little low end torque but it does look pretty.
Yea that's why I would like to do it is for room. I have a catch can and would like to move it to around there. But don't know if I want to lose torque. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Should be fine. I slapped an entire turbokit on my BK2 and she still has no check engine lights.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Nah...I'm running a cbe, intake and test pipes.. And it runs fine without any issues. Before I went with test pipes the intake roar was loud. With the test pipes added I can barely hear the intake. Something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Turbo on 3.8? if so how much did it cost after everything was said and done?
$7500 or so, I'm just running the 5 PSI waste gate spring.

·
3point8 Performance
2,628 Posts
the only mod that will cause a CEL is headers on the 3.8 unless you do something really dumb. but basic bolt-ons will not cause any issues assuming you properly install them. Lots of people running full bolt-ons without engine lights.

Reactions: lostpilot28

·
Registered
16 Posts
the only mod that will cause a CEL is headers on the 3.8 unless you do something really dumb. but basic bolt-ons will not cause any issues assuming you properly install them. Lots of people running full bolt-ons without engine lights.
What code would the headers throw? All I now of is if you don't have O2 bungs in your downpipes.. unless I'm missing something :S

·
3point8 Performance
2,628 Posts
What code would the headers throw? All I now of is if you don't have O2 bungs in your downpipes.. unless I'm missing something :S
You'll have codes related to the catalytic converter efficiency because headers delete the primary cats.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You'll have codes related to the catalytic converter efficiency because headers delete the primary cats.
Did not know that! Are there more cats besides the two in the downpipes and the two at the secondary cats?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did not know that! Are there more cats besides the two in the downpipes and the two at the secondary cats?
i do believe the primary cats are actually in your headers on a 3.8. downpipes just have the flex weaved part for fitment. then the secondary cats which you can replace with test pipes and thats it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nah...I'm running a cbe, intake and test pipes.. And it runs fine without any issues. Before I went with test pipes the intake roar was loud. With the test pipes added I can barely hear the intake. Something to keep in mind.
the intake would be mainly to reroute my catch can around that area since i have it all the way on the driver side by the fuse box. but i dont know if i want to lose torque. intake sound wouldnt be that big of a loss

·
3point8 Performance
2,628 Posts
Both exhaust manifolds have a primary cat welded to it. The down pipes have a flex bit only. The secondary cats come after the down pipes and can be removed without any codes.

·
'13 3.8 Track
858 Posts
Titan, I'd say you're mostly right...but you know more than I do. In my case, I had no CEL with a Magnaflow cat-back exhaust and a few minor intake mods (IAT probe relocate, K&N drop in filter).

But, I also had a canned SFR tune, and once I put the headers on, I started getting the CEL. It was for a "Cylinder Contribution / Imbalance"...not the missing cat.

Here's what happened...I left my secondary cats in and moved the downstream O2 sensor just past them to get the "clean air" reading for the ECU. This works pretty well.

I recently got a custom BTR tune, and they found that my AFR was set very lean...this apparently causes the imbalance and occasional downstream O2 "lean" reading. The BTR guys totally fixed my AFR, though and I haven't popped a code since.

In either case, I don't think the headers are always to blame...it could be the ECU.

Reactions: titan2782

·
Registered
237 Posts
Like lostpilot said^, most people get away with no cel with headers by getting the car tuned properly to compensate for the different AFR's, not usually a hard problem to solve aside from having to relocate the o2 sensors depending on the setup

1 - 19 of 19 Posts