Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Chapter 11 Section 62
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aight so team hyundai has the badges, 149.99 on sale right now 99.99 apparently he he was able to buy a whole bunch and get a good deal. They are overpriced even still but if ur like me and under 200 is worth it for something you can see ahead of time, and not have any surprises with, and install same day. id recomend getting them.

Didnt really see any major differences from other badges on the forums tho, basically the same thing. Team hyundai orders them from korea, the fellow i spoke with in parts, "has a guy" he orders from.

WARNING: if you dont care about long-winded installation/fitment/me rambling bits, do not read the following, scroll down and look at pictures.

Fitment/installation on a 13: The rear is easy, get the black trunk liner off the inside of the trunklid, then there was a small square hole in the layer of sheet metal you could stick a screw driver thru to access one of the screws on the rear badge. The other screw gets real triky as it is blocked by same said piece of sheetmetal with no acess hole, I just drilled my own acess hole for the sake of not losing my temper with it. popped that screw out, then heatgun and a plastic removal tool, and she popped off realy easy, two little white plastic threaded things for the screw to use thru the exterior sheetmetal of the trunk lid pop out easy leaving you with two small square holes easily covered by the wing badge. (they stick out a bit so you dont want them there when ur trying to get the flat badge on the slightly curved trunklid.)

Front badge removal is easier, no adhesive, just two pins/screws? held on with a speed nut/rivet sort of thing. (saw that when the bumper was off for HID install) basically you are forced to break the badge off, pried up a corner with a slot screw driver wrapped in a tea towel, snapped off the edge of the outer ring of the oval allowing me to get a bigger prying screw driver under the badge, and with some carefull pressure, keeping an eye on the grill the two screw/rivet things snapped and the badge shot out cleanly and landed 5 feet away lol.

Rear fitment is easier than i thought, before taking the 3m tape backing off, just dry fitting it looked iffy, trunk lid is slightly curved and badge is not. Turns out this is easily taken up by the 3m tape on the badge, I was expecting to have to apply serious pressure and get the badge to curve a tiny bit with the heat gun, but i didnt have to. just heated up the tape nicely and the badge area of the trunk lid, (it was only 7c outside) and placed it centered in the oval impression, which if you do carefully pretty much lines it up level, i got lucky, it ended up perfect lol. little more heating and pressing and its on there perfect.

Front fitment gets tricky, the oval area for the badge is recessed, and the wings stick out past the oval of the badge so you need to buy a roll of 3M and spend some quality time with a cutting board and an exacto knife, took me about 10 min. basically you end up doubling up the 3mtape. otherwise the wing tips hit the edges of the oval on the grill and keep the 3M tape on the badge from getting into the recessed part of the oval to stick to something. one layer worked for me. then i quickly rushed to the car, heatgun in hand, heated the tape and the plastic recessed oval, and carefully stuck her on, little easier to get centered, straight and level than the rear one.

I have a little excess tape to trim on the front, but its barely noticible and im gonna wait a while to make sure its on there good before i go in there with a tiny exacto knife blade.

Pics:

Some of the extra tape visible here, but better safe than sorry when you double up the 3M for the front, ill be trimming it later.

·
Chapter 11 Section 62
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And i got a quote for color matching the front bumper, 300, if blended 400. probably be getting it done next time im back from trucking.

·
Hammer lane Hero
5,712 Posts
You're insane. I bought the exact same badge off a guy in my city for $25. Any body shop will hit it with colour for like 10-20 bucks.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
*scratches head* swiftey I didn't catch the part where you mentioned the benefit of buying from the dealer. Did they offered lifetime warranty?

It's just that I know you can get one from the forum between $20-$30 and $99 is definitely high up there

·
Chapter 11 Section 62
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well see, you didnt catch it because i didnt say there was one lol,

my dealer i bought from was suposed to have installed em before i took delivery but because they are a bunch of ass-monkeys i didnt get it. and im a truck driver who is gone for like 2 weeks at a time, and didnt want to wait, 99bucks for badges, meh i dont care, chump change. For those looking to save money of course its not a feasible option, Im leaving tomorrow and i just wanted some damn badges on the thing.

As for 10-20 dollar paint job on the bumper, a body shop will take the time to perfectly color match my bumper for 10 bucks, maybee 20? by bodyshop do you mean teenager working out of his garage with a rattle-can and a bad case of acne? I want it professionally done so it looks factory, if there are cheaper options out there id love to hear them but 10 bucks seems a little low?

·
Black 3.8GT
455 Posts
Yikes that's is super expensive. That's $99 for plastic

·
Hammer lane Hero
5,712 Posts
well see, you didnt catch it because i didnt say there was one lol,

my dealer i bought from was suposed to have installed em before i took delivery but because they are a bunch of ass-monkeys i didnt get it. and im a truck driver who is gone for like 2 weeks at a time, and didnt want to wait, 99bucks for badges, meh i dont care, chump change. For those looking to save money of course its not a feasible option, Im leaving tomorrow and i just wanted some damn badges on the thing.

As for 10-20 dollar paint job on the bumper, a body shop will take the time to perfectly color match my bumper for 10 bucks, maybee 20? by bodyshop do you mean teenager working out of his garage with a rattle-can and a bad case of acne? I want it professionally done so it looks factory, if there are cheaper options out there id love to hear them but 10 bucks seems a little low?
My bad, I glossed a bit and I thought you meant painting the badges. Because lots of us paint our badges different colours. I did, cause I'm not a fan of chrome.

·
Ex-DSMer
3,611 Posts
You could have rambled some about properly prepping the area before affixing the adhesive... ;)

·
Chapter 11 Section 62
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You could have rambled some about properly prepping the area before affixing the adhesive... ;)

Ah yes, make sure you grab some alcohol swabs, and if you dont have any, soak a rag with vodka, when your done cleaning, suck the vodka out of the rag otherwise its alcohol abuse. just made sure the damn thing is clean!!!!

·
Chapter 11 Section 62
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My bad, I glossed a bit and I thought you meant painting the badges. Because lots of us paint our badges different colours. I did, cause I'm not a fan of chrome.

gotcha, no worries, i cant decide myself, want to get my rims powdercoated gloss black, then ill have to sit on a lawnchair with my car and hum and haw about blacking my badges for a few hours.

·
Hammer lane Hero
5,712 Posts
^Cause you don't want your 500% marked-up badges coming off. Damn truck drivers, most of you guys have some screws loose.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Swiftey before you drop $300 on colour matching, you might want to check out Import Shark's selection, they have a range of colours to choose from. You may end up saving yourself more than having it painted by a body shop/ dealer.

I would recommend to save your money where you can because the longer you own this car the more you learn about other modifications and your expenses will keep going up. I started with changing the emblem on my car last year and now I'm waiting for a custom tune lol

·
Hammer lane Hero
5,712 Posts
Swiftey before you drop $300 on colour matching, you might want to check out Import Shark's selection, they have a range of colours to choose from. You may end up saving yourself more than having it painted by a body shop/ dealer.

I would recommend to save your money where you can because the longer you own this car the more you learn about other modifications and your expenses will keep going up. I started with changing the emblem on my car last year and now I'm waiting for a custom tune lol
Tell me about it, I've got $2600 just in rims and tires coming, followed closely by another $1300 for coilovers :broken:

·
Chapter 11 Section 62
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I dunno about IS. Still waiting on my functional hood vents. May pm them again. It's been a month and a half now...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts