Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just registered on this forum (which I read on a daily basis it seems) to ask something that has been talking about, however in different parts of the site here and there. I realize that if I spent about 2 days of solid reading everything there is, I'd find my answer, but, I figured I'd be direct, and as I hopefully plan to become quite the active member, why not start here.

On to my question!

I live in Nova Scotia, and, much like the majority of Canada, we get snow. Thankfully I live in Halifax, so the roads are taken care of in short order, but, during the snowfall itself that's usually not the case.

Currently I have only ever driven FWD and 4x4 vehicles, and I am going to be getting a new car in the next year at some point, and I am seriously now looking at my options. I've come up with two that I will likely go with, and I want your opinion, as you're all experienced with this, and, well, I'm not.

The choices are a Mazda 3 Sport (GS) (FWD, of course), or a Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T. They work out to be within $700.00 of one another when it's all said and done, so they're quite evenly priced, besides the obvious facts of FWD/RWD.

I've never driven RWD before, but I figured if you're smart about it, you can learn anything (just don't drive like it's some semi-truck and you're fine).

So, onto the other question:

Winter driving, and winter tires. I clearly will be buying winter tires right off the bat, so, what is the experience with driving the Genesis throughout a whole winter in Canada? Doable? Not worth the effort? Does it slide around like a low-slung crazy carpet? I ask because this will directly influence if I go for a "fun" Genesis, or a slightly more sedate Mazda 3 Sport.

I don't want to buy a car that I am going to have some serious issues driving in the winter (with winter tires, naturally), so, any opinion is welcome.

Thank you for your time and consideration. If there is a bunch of threads already that answer this directly, please direct me, as I don't want to fill the forums with unneeded duplications.

·
Banned
1,705 Posts
with good tires you can go anywhere you want .. and it's fun to drive in snow!

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
with good tires you can go anywhere you want .. and it's fun to drive in snow!
^This +100. Very fun to drive in the winter.

·
Joe-Shmoe
2,275 Posts
All thing considered, the GC, can be OK as a daily driver in winter.

The 2.0t GT trim comes with a LSD that will not lock but will help you get out of snowed-in parking spots and will keep you in a straight line. The heating system is very good and the heated seats are icing on the cake.

All models are equipped with a very effective stability/traction system that will make fish tailing, due to to much accelerator input, very hard. This system is VERY intrusive, takes away a lot of the fun factor but security wise, IT WORKS. You can easily, on the fly, turn this system completely off. The ABS system is also very good.

Proper winter tires are a must.

Now for the ugly. This car's suspension and frame react really bad to uneven surfaces. The frame is so freaking rigid and the suspension has so few travel built into it that wheels can easily lose traction. That as had me driving near sideways at 20km/h on freshly snowed-in streets that are too heavily concave (to allow water drainage). Trouble getting out of some parking spots where there was barely any snow or ice... Also, the side windows can get stuck making closing the door a pita. I attribute this to me washing my car in cold winter. Silicone spray is your friend here.

The GC still fares better then most much older RWD vehicule I have driven (80s pick-up and 70's luxury boat). Does it do better then the other modern RWD cars (ex: BMW, Infinity...), not so sure. Does it do better then most FWD car, absolutely not.

Can it be fun? TOTALLY !!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I had an 07 Mazda3 GT with snow tires, and that thing could plow through the roughest of winter weather. The GC with snow tires is pretty good if you are used to driving a RWD car in winter. I've had a few RWD cars before so I knew what to expect. The GC has been better than both my Lexus IS250 and Infiniti G35 Coupe in the snow (the G35 Coupe was actually pretty scary to drive in the winter).

·
Señor Member
979 Posts
I daily drive mine through the winter with snow tires and if anything, it made me appreciate the car more. It handles great.

With the mentioned price range, I think youre looking at a base model, right?
If so, unlike the other guys above, I dont have a GT so I dont have an LSD, but Ive had no problems in the snow.

If its REALLY snowy, the back does slide out occasionally, but thats because I drive with a heavy foot. A dab of the breaks will straighten the car out right away.

So far Ive never ran into a weather situation where I couldnt drive through it.

Good winter tires and careful driving is all you need.

and BTW I was also looking at the same car as you before I bought the GC. Im happy with my decision :D

·
Gen coupe 2.0t GT
273 Posts
So this car is good in the snow WITH WINTER TIRES. I see people with all seasons but you will for sure need winters, toronto never got alot of bad storms this year. Never been stuck while driving but can get stuck in parking spots especially if your tires get stuck in a groove or you make ur own groove. (love the drunks leaving the bar's and getting stuck and just holding the gas hoping to go somewhere.)Never had a issue going up hill, but this I credit to driving stick. As for "This car's suspension and frame react really bad to uneven surfaces. The frame is so freaking rigid and the suspension has so few travel built into it that wheels can easily lose traction. That as had me driving near sideways at 20km/h on freshly snowed-in streets that are too heavily concave (to allow water drainage)" I have no idea, never had that happen but I would assume nothing to do with frame stiffness and everything to do with icy roads and a excessive slope of the road for your car to do that or maybe TCS turned off and to much gas. The traction control on this car is terrible in the summer time, kicks in for no real reason sometimes and kills power(remeber watching a video of a red gc 2.0t gt running 17.9, couldn't figure out why till i rewatched the video and realized TCS was on. Made sense he didn't even line up properly). When it is snowing it is probably the best out there since it will cut all power and keep your car straight. I would rate it a 9 out of 10 for a RWD but compare it to a FWD its a 5. You can get by just make sure u keep a bag of sand/cat litter in the trunk with a shovel. I also have the LSD so i can personally attest to that helping.

·
2.0T
85 Posts
Any model with LSD is a must + snow tires

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
The last car I owned was a Mazda 3 GT sedan. Comparing both cars (with 4 snow tires) the Mazda had the edge in starting from a dead stop in deep snow but the Hyundai is better in every other situation. When driven carefully, tcs on , the Hyundai feels more secure and I enjoy the fact that you can give it a little gas coming out of a low speed corner and it actually goes where you point it (unlike a FWD that just goes straight). The traction control is easily overwhelmed by sudden inputs and intervenes strongly but if you are very gentle and gradual with it it will intervene gently and allow maximum acceleration for the conditions.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I've been testing a GC here in Nova Scotia for you. The results are very good!

I live at the bottom of a steep, dirt, dead-end street and I'm amazed at how well this car works. I got my 17" steel wheels at Costco for 46.99 each and Canadian Tires Goodyear Nordics when they were on sale. If you lower the car you might be creating a problem but stock the electronics work well to keep all four wheels on the straight and narrow.

And.....if you want to play there's that ESC button. LOL

·
Registered
53 Posts
My last car was a Mazda3 and my new car is a Gen Coupe 3.8GT.

Mazda is WAY better in the snow. Both have/had snow tires. That being said, I have not gotten stuck ever in the mazda or the gen coupe. I was a bit worried too about the snow in the winter but the traction control and snow tires get you though it. And in the summer, you will love the gen coupe a million times more than the mazda3. The may be within the same price range (for the basic gen coupe 2L)... but that is about all they have in common...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright, back, after some time. I figured I'd let this thread run for a bit before I posted again, to ensure I got enough replies. I am a few months away from getting a new vehicle, and, as much as I love the Mazda (let's be honest, it's way more practical), the Genesis keeps my blood pumping.

werebear3: Any updates on your experience? I live in HRM myself, but find myself making trips to the Valley year-round due to family occasions. Still finding the Genesis alright in the winter? I would definitely just be getting the 2.0T base if I did pull the trigger on the car.

·
Registered
544 Posts
This wasn't really much of a winter as far as winters go, but I didn't have any problems. It is different then front wheel drive, as you would expect. On the highway with the ESC on and good winter tires it doesn't feel much different whether the roads are snow or slush then a FWD car.

You need to turn the ESC off sometimes to get moving but I turn it right back on once I am, she can get tail happy. That's somewhat because of the increased HP and the turbo boost. Once you get going I like it better then FWD because you don't get that loss of steering when the wheels spin. I know you can play with the spinning FWD to get where you want to go and with RWD you can do the same but not with the same inputs.

You need to go to a large mall parking lot and get a feel for it with no obstacles and you'll see what I mean. When I got my license, all cars were RWD and everyone got around as long as they had winter tires. Not much different then now with FWD. You gotta have winter tires in the winter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts