Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

Registered
What everyone is taught in Sweden Driving Schools are that bridges are way Icier than a normal road in early winter. This is because the normal ground surface radiates heat into the winter time, but a bridge with a lack of ground surface beneath it does not and that is why the surface on the bridges can become ice covered very easily... add to that the moisture from the river (a bridge normally passes over)

Registered
What everyone is taught in Sweden Driving Schools are that bridges are way Icier than a normal road in early winter. This is because the normal ground surface radiates heat into the winter time, but a bridge with a lack of ground surface beneath it does not and that is why the surface on the bridges can become ice covered very easily... add to that the moisture from the river (a bridge normally passes over)
In snowy/colder areas there's usually a sign when approaching bridges stating this.
Here's some pictures of the last time it snowed here.
Sky Cloud Infrastructure Road surface Asphalt

Sky Cloud Mountain Snow Plant

Registered
We are getting some snow today. I don't drive the car in the snow or ice because of the salt. So I filled it up with gas and parked it for the duration. :(
I know, I was thinking about this too, but I only have one car, also the imports here have extra rust treatment and are inspected for rust/corrosion annually during service.
Talked to the resto service, they said its fine to drive it in the winter... as long as I keep spending money at their shop :rolleyes:

Registered
Regarding salt. They don't use it like they use to. Only in heavy snow now. Mostly Calcium Chloride in a liquid that gets put down before the snow is used now.
Good to hear. Growing up in Illinois in the 70's and 80's I still remember cars covered in Salt top to bottom. The only way to keep anything nice was to garage it for the winter and drive a winter beater.

I'd rather do it myself
Good to hear. Growing up in Illinois in the 70's and 80's I still remember cars covered in Salt top to bottom. The only way to keep anything nice was to garage it for the winter and drive a winter beater.
My winter beater is a 2008 Accent 5sp hatchback. 188k miles and just put a new clutch in it. The OE throw-out bearing was hanging up on the dried out grease. OE clutch still had half wear to go.

But it's pretty rusty. They wanted $3800 to change the clutch. I put one in a couple of weeks ago after putting it off all summer. $250 in parts but ended up taking the whole engine out.

Registered
My winter beater is a 2008 Accent 5sp hatchback. 188k miles and just put a new clutch in it. The OE throw-out bearing was hanging up on the dried out grease. OE clutch still had half wear to go.

But it's pretty rusty. They wanted $3800 to change the clutch. I put one in a couple of weeks ago after putting it off all summer. $250 in parts but ended up taking the whole engine out.
Similar story here. The last clutch I did was on my 93 Isuzu Emigo, shop wanted somthing like that, I bought a clutch kit at Auto Zone for a couple hundred bucks and did it in July on the garage floor, hopefully never again.馃ぃ

21 - 34 of 34 Posts