1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,444 Posts
If you want them to be on a switch you have to wire one in as well as a relay. A relay is needed regardless. You can use existing wires at the stalk switch to power the new relay when the key is on. This helps as it will kill the lights whenever the car is shut off.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Fog lights work well independently of your headlights. It is often disadvantageous using high beams in fog, rain, or snow. Fog lights work well in these conditions, and it is best using the fogs without high beams. I’m not sure about this, but I think some States might require fog lights to only work in conjunction with low-beams or running lights, and not independently. If you turn your fog lights on, you probably want your tail lights illuminated as well.

Altering the wiring in the stalk on the steering wheel to accommodate a fog light function/feature is difficult and may not present an advantage. A good way to wire fogs is using a relay and running the wire to an independent switch somewhere on the dash. You might want the switch to get its power from a headlight wire (if you only want the fog on only when the headlights are on). As Red Raspberry mentions; however you wire the fog light, it should be “hot” only through the IGN wire so that you never drain the battery if the switch is left ON.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Some states only permit a maximum of 4 foreward facing lights to be on at any time, hence factories wireing fogs to only work in conjunction with the lo beams. Speaking as someone who grew up driving at times in some very foggy conditions I used my fog lights just so I could see the edge or stripe on the side of the road so I had somthing to follow to keep me from running off the road. It works better without headlamps in these conditions as they just blind you by reflecting the light right back at you in heavy fog. I dont think manufactures want the liability of running with fog lights and no headlamps as most folks wouldent be smart enough to turn their headlamps back on as soon as conditions permit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts