Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I wanna go fast
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am polishing the lip on a set of 5zigen super 6 wheels because I had some extensive salt damage from improper storage. I have 1 left so does anyone want to know the process? I will be completing the last wheel this week so I can try to sell them at an autoX next weekend.

·
Premium Member
4,727 Posts
Always interested in a good DIY

·
Shut up and take my money
4,726 Posts
I'd definitely be interested

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Ive always wondered if our 19s could be polished.

·
I wanna go fast
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't see any reason why they couldn't be polished. As long as there is metal under the paint you should be good. I'll make a new thread later this week detailing how to do it. I was mostly just asking to see if anyone had already done a thread on it somewhere since its cheap and only requires a little hard work.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts

·
I wanna go fast
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
Here's a good DIY:
Strip paint
Sand
Sand more
Sand even more
OMFG SAND MORE
Hands bleeding yet? Good! Sand MORE!
If you still have fingers, you haven't sanded enough.
Ok, now you can polish and buff them. :D

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Here's a good DIY:
Strip paint
Sand
Sand more
Sand even more
OMFG SAND MORE
Hands bleeding yet? Good! Sand MORE!
If you still have fingers, you haven't sanded enough.
Ok, now you can polish and buff them. :D
At least 1 rim is almost done at that point. :rofl:

·
Super Moderator
13,004 Posts
there was a member on the forum that tried polishing the OE wheels, changed his mind after getting the paint off and trying, our OE wheels are pour cast and not the greatest for polishing and will never give you that chrome look, in fact, it'd be faster and cheaper to just get them spray chromed by a company that uses Alsa paint.

·
I wanna go fast
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
At least 1 rim is almost done at that point. :rofl:
I wholeheartedly agree. I bought some rubber gloves because the sandpaper was tearing up my fingers. Now I just swap gloves when a finger comes off no more tears and ice and expensive doctors visits to get it sewn back on. I just have to work my way up from 250 grit to 2000 on 1 wheel and apply polish to 2 and I'm done only took me a month...

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
I definitely feel for you. I've never polished wheels, but I have wetsanded an entire car in my garage to prep for paint over the course of a couple of weeks. My hands were completely torn up at the end.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Once you get out the casting pits its smooth sailing. A palm sander helps speed up the process.

·
I wanna go fast
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well for me it is just the lip with some extensive salt damage. I used a dremel with a small sandpaper wheel to scrub the imperfections/wheel rash off. after that it is just hand sanding. the first scrub with the 250 grit sucks because it takes forever after that though it does get a lot easier

1 - 17 of 17 Posts