Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
3point8 Performance
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around but haven't found much. I'm currently planning out an exhaust setup, but I'm trying to decide what to do. I was planning dual exhaust with an x-pipe because from my experience x-pipe gives a nice raspy sound which I enjoy. But, I would rather have a setup that improves down-low torque for better off-the-line performance.

I'm curious if anyone has done any testing or has any proof on the dual setups. Which setup (X or H) would improve down low torque. Then, would the gains out weight the additional weight (is it even significant?)

I've also read that the single pipe from CNT gives most mid-range gains. But this was in the 2012 and earlier forum

I was really pumped about the magnaflow thread because I like how it sounded, but sound is now a secondary concern. I don't think the tunes are where they need to be for the 3.8 and I'd rather get what I can from bolt-ons (with focus on mid-range, not peak).

So, is there any definitive data on dual vs single and dual x vs h?

·
End Me, Begin Him
689 Posts
X-Pipe has been proven to provide better hp and tq than an H-pipe. H-Pipe has a cleaner sound. CNT V3, Magnaflow, Injen SES and more all have X-Pipes. The only one that has an H-Pipe (that I know of) is Solo Performance. The additional rasp of an X is easily negated by some good resonators.

Right now, I am running my Injen SES with individual Ark Test pipes and it sounds mean, not really any rasp and it flows great.

Oh btw, my friend @jesse82nc will be selling his CNT V3 exhaust without exhaust tips for $275. You will not be able to be that price with a custom mandrel bent system. Unless you really want to go down the route of custom, I would hit him up.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I honestly dont think you will notice the difference in the slightest. you definitely wont feel the difference by any means. Id go with what you like better for sound. I went with the ark grip 2 and it was very quiet. I then ordred the h-pipe (no downpipe), and it sounds 10000x better now. But there is no rasp, which if that is your thing, dont go with the h-pipe.

·
DeaconO
248 Posts
I have the Ark h-pipe with stock exhaust. I love it. You do get a rasp with stock exhaust but I like it. It does seem to free up the exhaust. Then again im going by butt dyno so your mileage may vary. Build quality is top notch so it is worth every penny to me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
X-Pipes only work best at Top end/high rpm's such as enlarged aftermarket headers are good for. Over sized exhaust pipping causes the an extra negative with this application added. These were designed for full race applications like NASCAR. How often do we drive or hold our cars at max rpm. When applied with a manual tranny the rpm drops with every gear change causing you to drop out of the sweet spot and sufficing to get back up to top rpm again.

·
"Bentley" Owner
257 Posts
I honestly dont think you will notice the difference in the slightest. you definitely wont feel the difference by any means. Id go with what you like better for sound. I went with the ark grip 2 and it was very quiet. I then ordred the h-pipe (no downpipe), and it sounds 10000x better now. But there is no rasp, which if that is your thing, dont go with the h-pipe.
Just got an ARK H Pipe to put on my with my current GRiP system as well because I found it ever so slightly too quiet.

Can you explain in detail how you feel it helped both performance and sound wise? Possibly post before and after video/sound clips?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Just got an ARK H Pipe to put on my with my current GRiP system as well because I found it ever so slightly too quiet.

Can you explain in detail how you feel it helped both performance and sound wise? Possibly post before and after video/sound clips?
I dont have an after video atm and my car is in storage while im away traveling for next few months. But basically your stock cats are super restrictive. You will see when you remove them and look through it, you will only be able to see a pencil thick bead of light shine through. Just the mere fact that you are increasing the air flow a ton, you will produce more noise. But specifically from the h-pipe, having that middle connecting pipe that forms the "H", helps to balance the flow of air coming out of the exhaust through each seperate pipe, producing a very clean growl. As far as performance im not sure how much benefit you get out of the H pipe vs just straight test pipes, but i know having the H helps with back pressure which is more important with NA cars. Let me know what you think once you put it on and drive it around a bit. Mine continued to get louder over a week it seemed. Now when i start my car, it fires up with a mean growl that fills the cabin and will for sure put a smile on your face.

·
2015/White/3.8/Automatic
266 Posts
this thread has been stalled for a few weeks now, but i'm close to buying an ark grip exhaust with downpipe and either H pipe or straight pipes. I'm leaning towards H pipe. I don't want a raspy sounding exhaust. I want clean sound, but an aggressive sound.

·
"Bentley" Owner
257 Posts
this thread has been stalled for a few weeks now, but i'm close to buying an ark grip exhaust with downpipe and either H pipe or straight pipes. I'm leaning towards H pipe. I don't want a raspy sounding exhaust. I want clean sound, but an aggressive sound.

Downpipes have been proven in dynos to add no gains at all for our NA engines. It's in a thread somewhere around here.

I'm running the GRiP system with an H pipe and love it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
45 Posts
Downpipes have been proven in dynos to add no gains at all for our NA engines. It's in a thread somewhere around here.

I'm running the GRiP system with an H pipe and love it.

I agree Copp3rhead! N/A motors that are daily driven need back pressure for the off the line to mid range assistants to work there way up to top end.

Straight pipe no back pressure systems only work well on turbo and super charged applications. The smaller the engine the more back pressure is needed.

On N/A engines Straight Pipe = a flat power curve or negative/ decrease in power all thru out rpm range.

X-Pipe = a flat power curve at low rpm and mid range rpm. It will boost your top end power at high rpm only. Your car will struggle getting to the sweet spot at the top.

H-Pipe = does a better job mixing the gases and gives the needed back pressure without restricting the flow. Resulting in low end rpm power increase and mid range rpm power increase. Allowing you to reach top rpm much faster.

The next issue would be these faulty after market tuner style mufflers that are just straight pipe with fiberglass packing material to quiet the sound. They offer little to no back pressure. These mufflers are only beneficial for turbo or super charged vehicles.

Hot Rodding V8 & V6 engines has been around for decades and they continue to use chambered mufflers for these reasons. They give you the added back pressure required for a naturally aspirated engine to produce the right amount of power thru out the entire rpm band.

It's just a matter if you're going for performance or a specific sound.

The Ark Grip is one of the few that offers a muffler that gives back pressure. Most of the other systems are one size fits all. Meaning they are using the same no back pressure mufflers for both our cars (2.0T & 3.8 N/A). Most of these tuner style mufflers are just big
fancy cases with straight pipe or S-Curve pipe wrapped in fiberglass or other sound dampening material.

·
"Bentley" Owner
257 Posts
I'm just waiting for the people to come from high and low to tell all us ARK owners how stupid we are to spend that kind of money. Lol

·
3point8 Performance
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This was the point of this thread. There is a ton of anecdotal evidence but I was hoping for some kind of proof like dyno sheets.

Yeah, people have been hot rodding V6's and V8's for a long time, but looking into this topic more, there is a lot of contradicting information with little or no proof. To me it seems that it will depend on the motor setup itself so what works for a Nissan V6 won't work necessarily work for a Hyundai V6. Granted there are some generic rules that apply across the board, but each setup will be different and benefit/suffer in different ways.

·
DeaconO
248 Posts
I'm just waiting for the people to come from high and low to tell all us ARK owners how stupid we are to spend that kind of money. Lol

I felt that way about their products. then i bought the H pipe and was impressed. Having worked at a steel yard I can say their welds are from a experienced welder. Good quality product that I would buy again.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Another exhaust that has good muffler is magnaflow, it has x-pipe muffler.
As was said before, h-pipe is good for low end power and x-pipe is good for top end power.

If you wand more DD power h pipe is no brainer, if you going for a tune and higher rs gain, then x pipe.

Muscle cars used to always slap on h-pipe because their powerban peaked at 4,500 rpms, underdeveloped engines had no use for x-pipe.

·
Banned
2,200 Posts

I felt that way about their products. then i bought the H pipe and was impressed. Having worked at a steel yard I can say their welds are from a experienced welder. Good quality product that I would buy again.
LOL, right!?

:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

·
2015/White/3.8/Automatic
266 Posts
Now I don't know what to do about the downpipe.

I really need to find this thread you speak of! Search isn't working...

·
"Bentley" Owner
257 Posts
I need to find this thread!!!!
Someone owes me a drink...

This thread - http://www.gencoupe.com/gencoupe-build-projects/131291-before-after-dyno-s-stock-13-3-8-a.html

-Headers / GS Spacer / DP's / BTR Tune

I was in a very big hurry to get the car put back together to make it for the dyno tuning so was not able to dyno these mod's individually.

Car Dyno'ed at 336.3 RWHP and 293.4 TQ
+ Increase is 35.7 RWHP and 17.3 TQ (over no tune and the car ended up pulling timing as you can see in the 5750RPM range from the baseline run)

I could tell the car was faster from the mod's before the tune but after the tune, the car really responded and got up to speed barely having to press the gas.
BTR did an excellent job tuning my car and they are all awesome to work with. Thank you again to Sam at BTR and the BTR crew for tuning my car, and for all those that I met in California during the dyno tuning event it was a lot of fun and just being able to hang out and chat.
Sadly he lumped a lot of things together there, the answer is buried somewhere in that thread I believe. But that first post is where you'll find the dynos.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts