Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

421 - 440 of 542 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
what did you use to attach the tablet on?
also, any one have troubles with their GPS? mine seems to be delayed by a second. Always takes a second or two to update the map after i made a turn.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I posted a little ways back with a full description on the mod. Basically I used grey outdoor 3m double stick tape between the large Zip Ties and the back of the nexus. The screws tighten to sandwich the tablet against the B type bezel. I put some small pieces of 3m on the bezel between the bezel and face of the Nexus. this kept it from sliding out of position while tightening the screws

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
sending my 2013 nexus 7 in for RMA. only one side of the speakers play, tested with multiple cables and headphones.

GPS is slow as mentioned above.

·
240SX turned GC
1,176 Posts
I posted a little ways back with a full description on the mod. Basically I used grey outdoor 3m double stick tape between the large Zip Ties and the back of the nexus. The screws tighten to sandwich the tablet against the B type bezel. I put some small pieces of 3m on the bezel between the bezel and face of the Nexus. this kept it from sliding out of position while tightening the screws
can you post a picture of this setup? It would help greatly as i cant visualize it.....

Also, my tablet had been slowing down in charge speed. Turns out the cable had been chewed up due to the odd angle of the plug going to the tablet, bought a L shaped plug, and it charges great!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Simple mounting of Nexus.

I should have taken more pics as I did the install. I cut very tiny pieces of the 3M tape and wrapped it over the edge of a couple of the plastic bracing that the face of the tablet rests against. This smashes almost flat as you tighten the screws. (Make sure you have screws that are not too long.) These small pieces keep the tablet from sliding around as you tighten the screws.
I also recommend using quality black Zip Ties. The white ones in my experience get hard and crack or break after awhile.

This makes my tenth post so I think my next should have a picture and a link to my Google plus pics.

·
Genesis Coupe RSpec 2013
95 Posts
Hey so much thanks for taking the time to share this valuable information. I really want to do this soon, but I was wondering your opinion on using an apple ipad mini. The reason I ask is I currently have one and don't use it too much, but I know if I put it in my dash I would use it a lot more. I'll probably just end up buying your recommendation. It appears to really do the job.
Also I don't want to purchase a separate plan for my device. I have talked with a few and from what I understand its not necessary unless you are updating your maps. I'm sure though you will miss certain features without it. I have been thinking of other ways, I may even purchase a personal hotspot and put it in my car, or get it on my iphone.
thanks my ramblings finished :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I despise Apple and their products. Mostly because of their locked down operating system and their over priced products. $100.00 to upgrade 16 more GB of memory that costs about $8.00 at street prices. If you buy a 16GB product you're stuck at 16GB with no option but to buy a new device. Also can't use a Blue Tooth OBD2 module with Apple.
That's my rant. I'm considering changing to a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4. They have a Micro SD slot and currently can handle 64GB and possibly 128GB. I tried the Acer A100 tablet. It's awesome except the screen is to dim in bright daylight and the Miro SD maxes out at 32GB. The Nexus 2 so far has been a huge pain and expense. OTG plus power cable and Timurs Rom for $40 bucks. The damn thing keeps losing the path to the Thumb drive and I have to re-establish it. It then has to search to populate the music library. It seems that the battery sensors are getting more sensitive to heat so that if I leave my car in the sun and run into a store or something it shuts down. I have to pop the bezel after it cools to get to the power button and then re-establish the library again.

·
240SX turned GC
1,176 Posts
I was wondering your opinion on using an apple ipad mini.
i mean you probably can, but you wont be able to use obd2/torque, defeating most of the purpose of this mod. You can use it for music/movies/apps but thats about it.

Also I feel its easier and quicker to just use the built in usb plug in the console for music then wiring the tablet up, but thats just me

I tried the Acer A100 tablet. It's awesome except the screen is to dim in bright daylight and the Miro SD maxes out at 32GB. The Nexus 2 so far has been a huge pain and expense. OTG plus power cable and Timurs Rom for $40 bucks.
sounds like a bad build on the rom, i had the acer 100 before trading up to a 1st gen nexus 7, i ended up leaving it stock rom, as there was really no reason to root it, and i was in a world of problems with my rooted a100.

Also, I ended up making a very similar mount to the one you posted, and by god it reduced GPS location time drastically

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I despise Apple and their products. Mostly because of their locked down operating system and their over priced products. $100.00 to upgrade 16 more GB of memory that costs about $8.00 at street prices. If you buy a 16GB product you're stuck at 16GB with no option but to buy a new device. Also can't use a Blue Tooth OBD2 module with Apple.
That's my rant. I'm considering changing to a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4. They have a Micro SD slot and currently can handle 64GB and possibly 128GB. I tried the Acer A100 tablet. It's awesome except the screen is to dim in bright daylight and the Miro SD maxes out at 32GB. The Nexus 2 so far has been a huge pain and expense. OTG plus power cable and Timurs Rom for $40 bucks. The damn thing keeps losing the path to the Thumb drive and I have to re-establish it. It then has to search to populate the music library. It seems that the battery sensors are getting more sensitive to heat so that if I leave my car in the sun and run into a store or something it shuts down. I have to pop the bezel after it cools to get to the power button and then re-establish the library again.
isn't TIMUR's rom free?
I also hate how my Nexus 7 was so sensitive to heat and it would always shut off by the time I got back to my car. Luckily, it's autumn now and I won't have to worry about the heat for 8 months. What do you call those thicker zip ties you used?

·
Registered
27 Posts
isn't TIMUR's rom free?
I also hate how my Nexus 7 was so sensitive to heat and it would always shut off by the time I got back to my car. Luckily, it's autumn now and I won't have to worry about the heat for 8 months. What do you call those thicker zip ties you used?
Timur's Rom for the first gen Nexus is free. You have to donate to get the second gen Rom. He said he will not offer it free even after the Beta.
Zip Ties:
I'm not sure of the brand. We buy them in bulk where I work. Heavy, (Semi) Truck Dealership. I heated the ends with a Cigarette lighter and formed them a little. I've also seen them at Home Depot. You just want to be sure they are the Nylon and UV resistant.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Timur's Rom for the first gen Nexus is free. You have to donate to get the second gen Rom. He said he will not offer it free even after the Beta.
Zip Ties:
I'm not sure of the brand. We buy them in bulk where I work. Heavy, (Semi) Truck Dealership. I heated the ends with a Cigarette lighter and formed them a little. I've also seen them at Home Depot. You just want to be sure they are the Nylon and UV resistant.
Thanks. Is it worth the 30 euros?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Anyone notice that the only two ebay sellers of the relocation kit have pictures of both the Type A and Type B bezel? So which one are you actually getting? Does anyone know if any of the vendors here sell it as well or is ebay the only option?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Anyone notice that the only two ebay sellers of the relocation kit have pictures of both the Type A and Type B bezel? So which one are you actually getting? Does anyone know if any of the vendors here sell it as well or is ebay the only option?
I got the type A. Wasn't a big deal to me.
Also, for my install I found a power usb hub that took in 12v and had a couple high power dedicated charging ports. So far it seems to work well but I will have see how well the charging goes.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Anyone consider using LG G Pad 7?
It's got knock on like the G2 and G3.
just curious cause i have g2 right now.
can sync better between lg devices

421 - 440 of 542 Posts