Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Regular User
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really don't mean to hit a nerve with people who have manual trans problems, in fact you have my sympathy since I had a Civic Si that was cursed with problems on the transaxle. Best of luck to you guys in finding a fix or getting into something else.

That said, I've got absolutely no regrets about getting mine with the ZF six speed auto. It shifts really fast, shifts when I want it to, offers a lot of control in manual mode and so far it just feels solid all around. I definitely love how it disengages at a stop so the engine isn't pushing on it for no good reason. I feel like transmission makers should have been doing this all along.

What else? ...it's not a manual, so it won't have that extra hundredth of a second around a track but for a daily driven ride it's still pretty badass and a very smooth, easy ride at the same time.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
I totally agree with you man. It seems like a lot of car manufacturers make manuals that always needs to be replaced. Just to name a few the Honda Civic Si,RSX,350Z-370Z-G35-G37, and the GC. But that's all the ones I know of.

·
1,322 Posts
Yeah I agree. As a daily driver its nice not to have to shift all the time in city traffic. I like the ZF and I dont regret that I bought it.

·
Miss Behave Ng
879 Posts
I don't have the ZF transmission, but the 5-speed AT isn't too bad either. I haven't had any issues with it in terms of shifting and what not. Maybe just a bit slow on the acceleration side. But otherwise no complaints, I'm happy like =D!!!

Yeah, props to those that did get the MT, either 2.0 or 3.8. I read the thread about the MT issues before buying this car, and that's what made me decide against it. Plus if I were to get a MT, I would've bought a Civic or something, not a GC to learn on, cuz I would regret f**king it up later on.

·
Retired Staff
2,303 Posts
I <3 my 5 A/T.

Been great so far, ad I track the car frequently.

·
Regular User
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks like there are a lot of threads about new Camaro's and RX-8's having manual transmission problems too...

The funny thing is if two years ago someone had told me autos would start being better than manuals I would've laughed my ass off.

·
I'm Imran.
2,708 Posts
the only thing i dont like is the 1 second lag when shifting so i try to shift a second earlier than i should

·
Finesse Is Everything
1,734 Posts
I give it to you ZF guys. The match is much better than the 6MT. I drove one for a test drive and realized that it is just a better setup for day to day driving. However, I just really like standard. Hopefully the TWM kit will improve the feel.

·
Premium Member
76,154 Posts
Too bad you can't aggressively downshift with it in track situations.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I totally agree with you man. It seems like a lot of car manufacturers make manuals that always needs to be replaced. Just to name a few the Honda Civic Si,RSX,350Z-370Z-G35-G37, and the GC. But that's all the ones I know of.
I don't even know why people say, I'm a buy a manual hyundai sports car. If you are really a manual junky? There's 2 companies that make the sickest manual trannies ever. That's BMW and mazda. A bmw 128I or 328I in manual can bed had between 30-40k and any manual mazda will give you that sickest gear changes at low cost. If its all about the tranny, there is no reason to buy anything else...

·
If u don't kno, now u kno
1,605 Posts
i wish the ZF would hold gears like a DSG and not shift up automatically at redline on manual mode...it'd be SO easy to drift

·
Nawesome.
535 Posts
This is the only area where I literally HATE my car. The TCU needs an update to allow better control for downshifting and to make it not try to shift out of first so quickly when you're in "automatic mode" and not fully on it. The quick upshift into second has almost gotten me in an accident already when I needed to jump on the gas to avoid someone that didn't stop at an intersection. I jumped on the gas, but the car slugged @ 3k rpm in second gear and wouldn't downshift. :mad2:

·
Joe-Shmoe
2,276 Posts
I don't even know why people say, I'm a buy a manual hyundai sports car. If you are really a manual junky? There's 2 companies that make the sickest manual trannies ever. That's BMW and mazda. A bmw 128I or 328I in manual can bed had between 30-40k and any manual mazda will give you that sickest gear changes at low cost. If its all about the tranny, there is no reason to buy anything else...
I'm a not understanding you...:dunno:

The ZF is pretty good. Where are the TCU mods though...

·
It's painted with Blood
274 Posts
Love the ZF Trans. :)

Yeah, DPaik, wish it acted a little quicker like a DCT and held those revs.

·
The whistles go WOO! WOO!
829 Posts
I don't even know why people say, I'm a buy a manual hyundai sports car. If you are really a manual junky? There's 2 companies that make the sickest manual trannies ever...
This argument makes no sense. I mean, why would you buy a turbo hyundai, X makes better turbos. Or why buy a hyundai with power steering, Y makes the best steering racks, lol.

Though your comment on mazda transmissions being great might explain why I'm so displeased with the transmission in the GC (beyond the 2nd gear grind..). Every car ive owned before this has been a manual mazda.

·
FUNCTION OVER FORM
5,383 Posts
hahah this thread wasnt necessary. everyone knows that the zf auto is good in this car
ZF trannies are good on other vehicles too.... I beat the ever loving **** out of my BMW 540i & it had a 5sp ZF auto in it... AWESOME transmission. :bowdown:
Too bad most everything else broke on that car, but I can honestly say the engine & transmission were built well.

+1...... I couldn't accept an A/T for tracking.....drag strip maybe, but not road race.

·
GenSport Carolinas
3,001 Posts
Exactly. This is the biggest weakness of the auto. Unable to downshift and remaining at high rpms without a computer-forced upshift.

I love my manual and have not had the issues that so many complain about. One it's warmed up, it's good to go.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Exactly. This is the biggest weakness of the auto. Unable to downshift and remaining at high rpms without a computer-forced upshift.

I love my manual and have not had the issues that so many complain about. One it's warmed up, it's good to go.
Having driven the ZF for over a year now, one of the continued complaints I see in posts has been the ability of the ZF not to downshift gears at any time by a driver request.

I have found that the ZF TCU will not downshift at high RPMs if you are giving it any gas on the pedal. If you let off of the gas pedal completely and then downshift, the TCU will downshift gears up to about 4500 RPM.

I see really no reason to downshift at a higher RPM than above 4500, because you are at the end of the torque and RPM curve at over 5500 RPM for that lower chosen gear and IMO you are just wasting your time by not keeping it in the current gear with the broad torque range of the 3.8 GC. But I am sure even this will not truly satisfy everyone who has a manual transmission.

I do agree that it would be much better if the transmission did not upshift to the next gear like a DCT. I said that a year ago. But one can learn to live with it by being careful. Good news for the ZF, there is no grind, you can't blow your engine and the ZF appears to take modification to allow up to 900 whp from a post I read somewhere here if he is right. That is good news for all ZF GC owners!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts