Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Not in the face!
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I came across this looking for transmission oil coolers

First high torque N54 (335i/135i) steptronic transmission build completed by Level 10 Transmisisons - ~700 pound-feet capable

Apparently, the 2006+ 335i uses the ZF 6HP19, or some version of it. If you read the story and go to the original link where the Protagonist delivers his car to Level10 he explains how second and fourth would seize once it got to hot until he finally melted the clutches, or something.

Anyways, these folks can apparently upgrade the ZF tranny to take up to 700ft-lbs...yikes...

If you go to the Level10 site and look under bmw they have a "bulletproof" 6HP19 for sale. Although, they do have a Hyundai section it doesn't list the 6HP19 tranny as being available. I may call them tomorrow and ask if the $1k rebuild kit works on the hunny genny, too

If it does, then all us AT peeps will have no fear when it comes to loading the ZF with torque, not just Stage 1. All that would be left is getting around the rpm limiter.

A rebuild kit for $1k isn't bad considering what your gaining. Just gotta find that individual that knows ZFs enough to perform the rebuild.

:hellokitty10:

I just emailed them [email protected]

Hello,

Can you tell me if the ZF 6HP19 products which you offer for the BMWs are compatible with the Hyundai Genesis Coupe?

Several of us from the gencoupe.com community would be very excited to know that we wouldn't be limited to Stage 1 or bolt-on upgrades alone.

Thanks,
Jose O.

·
Striped Genny
1,018 Posts
Dude keep us posted.:):)

·
WTF is NOS???
1,146 Posts
Great find, hope you get the right response.

·
Not in the face!
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The Reply...

here is the email chain...

If only we had a Gencoupe.com member with an A/T that lives near Hardyston, New Jersey :)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 08:34:26 -0400
Subject: RE: ZF 6HP19
To: Jose Ortiz <[email protected]>

Hi Jose

The pricing is the same as BMW.

Thanks
Pat

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2011 8:03 AM
To: level 10
Subject: Re: ZF 6HP19

Is the pricing the same as the bmw's?

On 8/18/11, level 10 <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi Jose

We have the valvebody upgrades to handle most bolt-on. And torque converters and transmissions to tune for turbo, supercharger and hi hp.

Thanks

Pat

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2011 1:18 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: ZF 6HP19

Hello,

Can you tell me if the ZF 6HP19 products which you offer for the BMWs are
compatible with the Hyundai Genesis Coupe?

Several of us from the gencoupe.com community would be very excited to know
that we wouldn't be limited to Stage 1 or bolt-on upgrades alone.

Thanks,
Jose O.

·
Not in the face!
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Follow up phone call....

Ok, so I called and to talked to Pat.

He was very friendly and answered all of my questions.

First and foremost, before I forget, the worst thing that you can do to damage your tranny is to scrape the pan. So for those folks that are lowered and have the A/T be very very careful. He explained that since the filter and the pan are integrated, when you scrape the pan or worse, cause a pinch, it creates a blockage in the filter thus preventing oil from flowing properly. So take it easy or get yourself a skid plate from an off-road store.

I'm not going to bother with prices because they are online at their website.

So the skinny is this: the tranny, much like the rest of the car, is very conservative out of the factory, leaving a lot of room for improvement.

If you want a daily-driver with better response and improved performance, like those of us that just install bolt-ons, get the valvebody. If you're mechanically inclined you can remove it and send it in and they will send you one back. Otherwise get a pro. You don't have to drop the tranny to do this.

Some folks have said that the OEM ZF can take a Stage 1 mod, but that's it because it puts it at or near the tq cap. For this he recommended the torque converter. Apparently there is an issue where the power doesn't really get applied until 3-4k rpms with forced induction. The torque converter fixes that. At this point, as a driver, you are probably doing 1/4 miles or doing some kind of intense driving (weekend track days) which hurts the wallet. You would have to speak to a Level10 rep to better describe your driving so that they can properly calibrate the Tq Conv.

These mods are most likely linear so if your buying the Torque Converter its because you already have the valvebody and want MOAR POWA!

Finally, if you're racing your car, have money burning in your pocket, and/or just want the piece of mind, get the "bulletproof" tranny. the internals are upgraded and can withstand some serious abuse. He told me that the BMW which melted his clutches could smoke the tires from a 70mph rolling start. That's a lot of power. If your at this level you're the exception and in a small percentage.

He said the valvebody is the best selling option, and that although they don't show the GenCoupe's transmission on the website they have worked on the GenCoupe's in their office's in Dubai. So the products have been installed before in Hyundai Genesis Coupes with the ZF trannys.

I emailed him to get a price to have my car shipped from Los Angeles to NJ and back. I'm expecting that price back by mid next week. I figured I'd ask since I'm one of the worst cases when it comes to shipping.

After all of that talking we hung up, forgetting to ask him about the most important detail: Heat.

So I called him back and asked him about those folks that are suffering from gears not responding due to heat build up after a few laps around the track. He said that was a good question. He requested that I take a temp laser and after doing a few laps take the temp of the pan. He said they currently didn't have the necessary data but could make a recommendation, once he had the numbers available, about what oil cooler to install.

So this resolves, almost, the main issue we, tuners/racers, have with the ZF Tranny: Torque limits and Heat buildup. As amazing as this transmission is there is room for improvement and the folks at level10 seem to have developed them. This is good news for us A/T drivers. We get all the performance of the ZF, worry free.

The final obstacle to resolve is the 6250RPM limit and the autoshifting, which one person has already recommended in another thread to use a revlimiter. Unless someone can study and produce a new TCM map.

I'll post the prices for shipping once I get them.

I hope to take my car this weekend to a track and do some laps so I can get the data. Maybe Irwindale or Fontana or something...:dunno: I plan to get the laser from Harbor Freight. My car is still basically stock, except for the mods in my sig.

-Jose

·
Not in the face!
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Banned
451 Posts
im going to do the evo x swap and shooting for the 350whp range. Would they recommend just the valve body or tc as well?

·
Not in the face!
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im going to do the evo x swap and shooting for the 350whp range. Would they recommend just the valve body or tc as well?
Just give them a call and ask them what they recommend. I would rather not answer for them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts