• 1 Post By whale

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 05-25-2017 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Steering wheel wobble after balance

So I've spent practically all week at Firestone trying to figure out what's going on. I just bought a set of staggered Vordoven F9's (18x9.5+22 and 18x10.5+22) and I've had wobble from the start. I tried 225/35s and I got a wobble, so I was asked to get Hub Centric Rings. I got the rings and it still wobbled. So I tried bigger tires, 235/40/r18 and I still had the wobble. So I brought it to another Firestone to have it roadforced and I still have the wobble (even after they rebalanced it). The thing that stumps me is there are no noticeable alterations to the new wheels, AND my stocks work just fine when I put them back on the front. The new rears work fine, I'm just having tons of issues right now with wobble in the front when using the new ones. So I was suggested to try 245/35s to see if that would fix it, and that's going to be happening tomorrow. Not sure if it'll fix it or not, but I'm completely lost and need tons of help and suggestions.

It IS lowered
Rears do NOT have an issue
Stock fronts WORK FINE
IT HAS BEEN BALANCED AND ALLIGNED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-25-2017
I'd rather do it myself

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage

When the tire is off the wheel roll the wheel on the cement and make sure it is not bent.

2010 Red 2.0L track

Quote:
If the Pharaohs had duct tape, the Sphinx would still have a nose...."
post #3 of 13 Old 05-25-2017 Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

If the wheel was bent, would roadforce have sensed it?

post #4 of 13 Old 05-25-2017
I'd rather do it myself

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage

Maybe maybe not. Roadforce balanced is not fool proof. I've had tires I had to balance by trial and error with stick on weights in the driveway before that Roadforce balance said were good.

Shaking is in the steering wheel and not the seat right?

2010 Red 2.0L track

Quote:
If the Pharaohs had duct tape, the Sphinx would still have a nose...."
post #5 of 13 Old 05-25-2017 Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Yeah it's in the front. The steering wheel wobbles once I go above like 50mph. Once I throw my stocks on, it's completely fine.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-26-2017

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)

If it goes away with the stock wheels obviously somthings going on with the new wheels. If their balanced corectly either one or both wheels are bent which should be noticable just by spining them while the car is off the ground or their not bolting down evenly on the rotors, possibly the center inside of the wheel wasent milled correctly or the centers just dont fit your hubs correctly. If your using spacers with the new wheels but not with the origionals thats another possibility, one or both spacers may not be perfectly flat or their not fitting flush on the rotors or the wheeles arent flush on the spacers.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-26-2017

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)

Sounds like you have already tried switching out the tires, if possible see if they could mount thetires on a diffrent set of aftermarket wheels, if it goes away, somthing not right with those particular wheels.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-27-2017

I ran into this problem with my Genny also. I'm a tire tech for a certain wholesale club that also does tires so luckily I was able to take time and mess with it while not doing customer cars. Here's a few things I learned.

Perfect balance is key. Computer wheel balancers round the amount of weight up to the nearest .25 ounce or 5 grams (depending on the setup) because those are the sizes weights commonly come in and most vehicles wont feel a difference. On my wheels, I needed to balance them on the "fine" setting, and if they were more than 2 grams off balance per plane I would get vibrations.

Have them use a pin-plate system or something similar. Most shops will use a cone through the center bore to mount the wheel to the balancer while a pin-plate uses the lug nut holes to mount the wheel to the balancer. The benefit of this is that the wheel will sit on the balancer like it sits on your car (using the lug nuts to center your wheel, not the center bore). If the wheel isn't sitting right on the balancer the machine will tell the tech to put the weights in the wrong location and you'll have a improperly balanced tire. I'd post a vid about pin plates but can't yet because of post count. This is a fairly common piece of equipment and Firestone should have one (if anyone knows how to use it is a different story).

That's what I had to do to solve my problems. Any shop worth a damn should be able to accommodate this if you ask them to do things this way. Best of luck to you.
BanzaiRspec likes this.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-23-2017

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have the same issue.. I have gone back and forth between the tire dealer and the car dealer.
Tire dealer says its the barrings
Car dealer says its the tires and that they have a bad hop

went back to the tire dealer and they said it was the rim.. so they fixed it and it's still doing the same thing...
ugh

Deanna

" My Silver Bullet "
2010 Genesis 3.8 V6 Coupe
With Track Package
post #10 of 13 Old 08-23-2017

did you get it fixed? I really would appreciate infor on how you solved the issue

Deanna

" My Silver Bullet "
With Track Package
post #11 of 13 Old 10-13-2017

I am having the same problem you are having.
I ordered new wheels ( Forgestar F14) and I had tires mounted and balanced. Tire guy made me come into the work area to check out one of the wheels. He turns on the balancing machine and one of the wheels are wobbling like crazy (no tire mounted yet) Well... turns out I got shipped a bent wheel from Forgestar. I tried driving it with the bent wheel but I couldn't comfortably drive it, it would shake above 55+ mph especially when I stepped on the gas. I contacted forgestar about the issue and they are telling me UPS is at fault. They might have dropped the wheel according to them it's common. I doubt it though how can a wheel get bent during shipping? Well anyways, they are sending me another wheel I have to wait another month to receive my new wheel. For now I slapped the stocks back on and taddah no more steering wheel shake.

My guess is that you have a bent wheel. I would go to a tire shop and have them put the wheel on the balancing machine without the tire and see if it wobbles.
post #12 of 13 Old 08-09-2018

Still have the problem..UGH.. dealer says it's the tire and tire dealer says it the hub barring... go tthem balanced and it'sd a little better. now the tire dealer said the rim is bent.. ya think.. the scratches the hell out of them. I should have taken pictures before taking them in.

Deanna

" My Silver Bullet "
With Track Package
post #13 of 13 Old 08-09-2018

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)

Replacing the hubs fixed mine.

Once the rotors are off, only takes 15 min to replace them. They are sealed units, so no messing with bearing grease.

OEM wheels and tires when it started happening to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement