Tire Recommendations for Daily Driver - Hyundai Genesis Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 06-16-2018 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Tire Recommendations for Daily Driver

What tires do you all recommend for a 2012 3.8 Grand Touring? The current ones are Nitto Motivo's but I just picked them on the fly last time I had to replace them. I don't take my car to the track and use it for daily driving on a mix of local roads and highway. I also live in Texas so no need for winter tires.

Also, should I replace all 4 tires at the same time? My fronts have 4/32" tread remaining, but my rears still have 6/32" remaining.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-16-2018

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)

Its really personal preference, the type of car the coupe is nisnecessitates performance oriented tires. Harder/longer wearing compounds will generally sacrifice grip, possibly sacrificing some safety and control. Sticky summer tires, (you said snow wasn't an issue), work better but cost more. Im running Brigdestone RE11's, not the best or worst, but they seem to work and wear pretty well for what they are and they weren't too expensive. Id research Tire Rack .com, if your not hung up on brand names theres some good prices on some off brand tires, quality notwithstanding.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-17-2018

Quoted: 79 Post(s)

I would replace all 4 if changing brand or type within a brand . My personal preference is the Michelin Pilot Supper Sports , I just put another pair on the rear not long ago

2012 Red premium 2.0t M/t
K&N Typhoon intake
TWN Big R type 600 gram shifter knob
Quaife LSD
SFR stage 1 canned
Synapse BOV
Uniq performance rigid collar kit
Solo Performance HI-flow cat down pipe + cat back
Saikou Michi catch cans
Uniq Performance Strut Bar
BBM Spoiler
ATQ Short shifter + bushings
13+Flywheel , Veleo HD cutch and throw out bearing , APR FW bolts , SS braided hose
Stop tech SS brake lines
Uniq Performance FMIC

post #4 of 14 Old 06-17-2018

Quoted: 114 Post(s)

I live in Texas as well. I run all season tires because the compounds for them last a little longer when you look at the treadwear ratings, and I also travel so sometimes I go colder places. I am currently running the General G-Max AS-03's because I got them on clearance at like half price or so on Tire Rack, but I have also run the Continental DWS06's and they work just fine as well and have a really high treadwear rating (meaning they typically last longer). You can look up all of the reviews and everything on Tire Rack to compare the two, but I didn't notice much of a difference with them myself. I would replace them in sets as they get worn out, i.e. front set and rear set, there is no use replacing tires that are not worn out and still have life left in them, and you will find the hardly wear out at the same rate being a rear wheel drive car.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-17-2018

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)

To original poster, assuming you are stock or basically stock (no extreme mods), go with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Excellent all around performace in all weather.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires.j...=Grand+Touring
post #6 of 14 Old 06-17-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvdukerider View Post
Its really personal preference, the type of car the coupe is nisnecessitates performance oriented tires. Harder/longer wearing compounds will generally sacrifice grip, possibly sacrificing some safety and control. Sticky summer tires, (you said snow wasn't an issue), work better but cost more. Im running Brigdestone RE11's, not the best or worst, but they seem to work and wear pretty well for what they are and they weren't too expensive. Id research Tire Rack .com, if your not hung up on brand names theres some good prices on some off brand tires, quality notwithstanding.
I currently have the RE11s but will be replacing soon. These have been discontinued and replaced with the RE71s. I had no complaints before the turbo but I need something stickier with the increased hp and torque.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-17-2018
shorttrack

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal1ty17 View Post
I live in Texas as well. I run all season tires because the compounds for them last a little longer when you look at the treadwear ratings, and I also travel so sometimes I go colder places. I am currently running the General G-Max AS-03's because I got them on clearance at like half price or so on Tire Rack, but I have also run the Continental DWS06's and they work just fine as well and have a really high treadwear rating (meaning they typically last longer). You can look up all of the reviews and everything on Tire Rack to compare the two, but I didn't notice much of a difference with them myself. I would replace them in sets as they get worn out, i.e. front set and rear set, there is no use replacing tires that are not worn out and still have life left in them, and you will find the hardly wear out at the same rate being a rear wheel drive car.
Are you near Houston? As for me I run 285-35-19 RE71r's on the rear /245-40-19 front ...... 10.5x19 r & 9.5x19 f ....22 offset .Flared rear quater ,flared rear quarters .

Nightmare On Any Street.2014 3.8 R-spec- Best 1/4 mile 11.57 ET @ 118.7 MPH on Nitrous and supporting mods (Many).Featured in GCtuner's featured rides section under ''links''.Many changes since then, too many to list.
post #8 of 14 Old 06-17-2018 Thread Starter

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbullie View Post
To original poster, assuming you are stock or basically stock (no extreme mods), go with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Excellent all around performace in all weather.

Yeah, I'm basically stock. Only mods are a K&N air filter and Fumoto valve lol. Needs are more for the weather rather than track performance since I don't take it there.
post #9 of 14 Old 06-17-2018

Quote:

Those are summer compound tires, not all-seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorttrack View Post
Are you near Houston? As for me I run 285-35-19 RE71r's on the rear /245-40-19 front ...... 10.5x19 r & 9.5x19 f ....22 offset .Flared rear quater ,flared rear quarters .
I'm in Austin. I run 275/35/19's in the back and 245/35/19's up front.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-17-2018

Quote:
Quote:

They are very good tires for year round in Southern/warmer states, dry and wet conditions. I have them on my S5 and I know a number of people using them on rear, all and front wheel drive and are extremely happy with them
post #11 of 14 Old 06-18-2018
shorttrack

Quote:

I'm in Austin. I run 275/35/19's in the back and 245/35/19's up front.
I have a rear set of NITTO NTO5's not using because I bust them loose on the streets on just motor,nitrous hit on the street is just a smoke show.The RE71r's 285-35-19 hook up ,even during nitrous hit . If you were closer I'd give these NTO5's to you free .

Nightmare On Any Street.2014 3.8 R-spec- Best 1/4 mile 11.57 ET @ 118.7 MPH on Nitrous and supporting mods (Many).Featured in GCtuner's featured rides section under ''links''.Many changes since then, too many to list.
post #12 of 14 Old 06-18-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorttrack View Post
I have a rear set of NITTO NTO5's not using because I bust them loose on the streets on just motor,nitrous hit on the street is just a smoke show.The RE71r's 285-35-19 hook up ,even during nitrous hit . If you were closer I'd give these NTO5's to you free .
I mean, I can always make a trip down there. What's the tread life left on them? I can probably go *slightly* fatter in the back.
post #13 of 14 Old 06-18-2018
shorttrack

Quote:
I mean, I can always make a trip down there. What's the tread life left on them? I can probably go *slightly* fatter in the back.
6 months worth .Not worth the trip .Good for track days at the strip or road course . As daily driver maybe 6 months as they are still a soft compound .I am also running 3.909:1 rear gear in my 2014 r-spec (standard tranny) so I light them up pretty easy .

post #14 of 14 Old 09-28-2018

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage

Michelin Pilot Supper Sports A/S 3 Plus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement