1Likes
  • 1 Post By AKGC

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-28-2019 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Speed Sensor Replacement Video Tutorial?

Hi guys, I recently got my 2010 2.0T back from the shop since my ABS and TCS light won't go off for a few months now. They mentioned something about how the actual ABS sensor is inside of the wheel hub/bearing and so those would have to be replaced as well.. so I got quoted for $1500 in parts and labor lol..

What I wanted to know is how i'm seeing a speed sensor part you can actually buy itself for like 50 a piece. So I'm confused as to why my wheel bearing has to be replaced as well.. I know one of my bearings are bad anyway so I'm thinking of replacing them at some point but I just want to get these annoying lights out first.

Luckily, this forum actually has a link on a video how to replace wheel hub/bearing but I was wondering if there was one for speed sensor replacement? If it is different from a usual speed sensor tutorial?

Thanks guys,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-28-2019

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)

the hub and sensor are 1 sealed unit.

It only takes about and hour to replace them yourself, and the only real special tools you need are a torque wrench and some blue loctite.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-2016-G...frcectupt=true
shorttrack likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-29-2019 Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGC View Post
the hub and sensor are 1 sealed unit.

It only takes about and hour to replace them yourself, and the only real special tools you need are a torque wrench and some blue loctite.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-2016-G...frcectupt=true
So you won't be able to get away with just replacing the sensor once it goes bad eh? I guess they were right but 1500 CAD to me is still ridiculous if it seems that quick to do. Thanks for your help though! Will look into getting value parts like that

post #4 of 5 Old 03-29-2019

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamsas View Post
So you won't be able to get away with just replacing the sensor once it goes bad eh? I guess they were right but 1500 CAD to me is still ridiculous if it seems that quick to do. Thanks for your help though! Will look into getting value parts like that
The only difficult part will be getting the rotors off.
But if you take the calipers off, then you can just take the hub and rotors off together, and try to get the rotors off the hub on the bench.

On the rear, it's just a traditional ABS sensor set up. You just have to unbolt the sensor, no need to remove the rear hubs.

They probably quoted you that price because they thought it was some weird set up.

Forgot to ask, but did you change wheel sizes or tire sizes?
the car programmed to use a staggered wheel setup. If you run a square setup, then it's going to cause the TC to go off.

Last edited by AKGC; 03-29-2019 at 09:55 AM.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-29-2019 Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alamsas View Post
The only difficult part will be getting the rotors off.
But if you take the calipers off, then you can just take the hub and rotors off together, and try to get the rotors off the hub on the bench.

On the rear, it's just a traditional ABS sensor set up. You just have to unbolt the sensor, no need to remove the rear hubs.

They probably quoted you that price because they thought it was some weird set up.

Forgot to ask, but did you change wheel sizes or tire sizes?
the car programmed to use a staggered wheel setup. If you run a square setup, then it's going to cause the TC to go off.
Yeah I think that's how others did it based on other threads I've read. I forgot but I think they used some sort of hammer to pull it out because apparently it's still hard to take off even if the brakes are out? Also if you're saying the sensors at the front are part of the hub I'm guessing I don't need to buy the separate piece ones? Idk how the connections work though at that case (If the back is a typical setup I'm guessing the separate wiring pieces are for those then). Regardless it was the front ones that are faulty apparently.

I do run square setup for my winter tires but I was fine for the first 3 months of winter and I never even had that issue of them going off at high speeds. So I don't think that issue is related tbh. These just set off randomly after I drove it off after work but during the morning it was fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement