Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

Brake pedal goes to floor

12K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Mikeparrino2 
#1 ·
Hey, just checking in to see if anyone else is having a similar problem?

I took my car out of storage for the first time since winter and the brake pedal goes to the floor. After pumping the brake pedal there it still goes to the floor. Master cylinder is full. Car drove fine with no problems when put away in October.

Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
No. The RPM does not change when rev’d up. Also checked the abs fuses thinking maybe something blew but they have power. I removed the master cylinder cap and had someone press the brake pedal and the fluid never moved but I could feel the plunger in the master cylinder move when pedal was released. Car has about 24,000 miles as it’s not driven year round and no brake work has ever been done yet.

#4 ·
check the brake linkage to the pedal. If that's working then either the master or the booster is bad.

drain and remove the master cylinder (remember to use a line wrench or you'll round out the fittings on the brake lines).
Normally there isn't a linage between the booster an the master, so the master just can be pulled out, but I haven't had to separate the 2 from each other, so it might be different.
If it's leaking from the backside of the master, you'll notice it being wet, and that's all that needs to be replaced.

#9 ·
Thanks for the response Red. There is no pedal until it hits the floor. After driving the car around some I see one clean rear rotor and one clean cross-corner front rotor from where pads are barley making contact and providing very slight stopping power. So I am guessing it would be the booster then according to your book?

#12 ·
Likely a leak in a vacuum line.

while idling does the rpm change when you press down on the brake?
Likely a leak in a vacuum line.

while idling does the rpm change when you press down on the brake?
Hello, I have a similar condition. I have replace the master cylinder, pads and brake line and a full flush and the brake pedal goes to the floor. I have slight rpm increase with car on and at idle (from 600-700 rpm change). I attempted the pedal compressions with engine off and it gets no stiffer, and keeping the pedal down when starting the pedal does not move lower. Is this a booster replacement problem or just the vacuum line?
Thabks
Mike