Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

101 - 120 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
My friend seems bound and determined to get one of these cars(hit his fancy I guess). He likes my car (not hyundai) and has helped me build mine. Now he has an itch for a car to build. I read the build plan/guide and see what little he can expect to get... Im gonna have to make him read this if he wants a car that you can work on and notice small differences. The gains you listed are what I got from a 100$ canned flash (mhd app stage 1+) for my car bumped me to 360 wheel hp(yay turbo's). I cant imagine putting that much work in for small gains. Its about the same work i have put into my car FBO and stage 2+custom tune. Dont get me wrong I enjoyed reading the build and congrat you for steering other members in the right direction to make REAL gains. Personally want to feel a reward for my work. Hopefully I find an as well written guide to forced induction builds on these cars.

Thank You
Tom
Ultimately the car was built and tuned quite well from the factory so there are no huge gains to be made from easy work. You can absolutely go FI but you're looking at forged pistons/rods && potentially a better trans as well (I don't believe the oem trans is rated for the torque a 3.8 turbo would produce)

Ultimately it's not the best platform from a mods/tuning perspective, just my 2c

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Ultimately the car was built and tuned quite well from the factory so there are no huge gains to be made from easy work. You can absolutely go FI but you're looking at forged pistons/rods && potentially a better trans as well (I don't believe the oem trans is rated for the torque a 3.8 turbo would produce)

Ultimately it's not the best platform from a mods/tuning perspective, just my 2c
Manual transmission has no problem with 500wtq.
You can run turbo without building, but you have to stay no higher than 6psi 380-400whp and run custom tune - Alphaspeed.

FOB bk2 3.8 with 3.9 rear pumpkin and corn tune is as fast as 17 5.0 mustang.

For NA v6, car is great. There are other platforms that are more tunner friendly, but non of them have great design of Genesis.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
486 Posts
Corn tune?

The 2014+ 8AT is a beast considering what it sits behind. Can hold what turbokits.com kit can provide without issues (as long as you had trans-cooler and service properly).

Despite what you may hear, you will need to build the shortblock with firged internals if you want to push the boost past the minimum. Porting heads and installing high flow tank fuel pump along with other improvements will benefit. Unfortunately, there is no mapping at this time to upgrade the hpfp at the motor so while you can bolt it on, you cant tune for it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
He hasnt changed his mind yet but we are both have a few gripes about the platform. We are both sitting here comparing our thoughts. Personally I think its way more effective and cost efficient to boost in a bottle this car. Maybe a 75 shot. His goal is to find a platform that can be built into a stock looking sleeper. Last weekend and this weekend we started taking a few low mile used and even a new one out for a drive. He noted and reminded me there is a lot of room for improvement in the suspension. Has the feel of a grantourer not so much a sports car with generous amounts of body roll. oh yea and a completely numb steering wheel. Our other gripe is stock seats dont do much to keep you in place. I found the upper bolster was ok but the lower bolster would fold and my ass would slide around alot. We are both gonna read some more in other threads here see what we can build one of these into. It looks decent isnt overly flashy but we both are a bit disappointed with the stock performance power and cornering wise. Also how close to accurate is the 25 mpg highway? Seems really low for a modern smaller car. I mean after modding to the 3.91 from a 2.0 car I could see having that low of mpg but is it really that bad? I think ill also post this in a more general forum. Considering the number of different issues touched.

Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
486 Posts
This isnt a factory race car. If you want that, you have to build that. Stuck from Hyundai, its a relatively low cost fun/sports car (probably intended for the younger crowd). Its not a M series BMW, S or RS Audi or AMG Benz but then again its not in those price ranges either.

On the BJ2 3.8, why the lower gas mileage, its an 11:1 compression and the 8AT Ultimate has a 4.11 rear end gear ...there specs do not lend to good gas mileage.

Yes, I have dumped a lot of money to build the suspension (race coilovers, sways, links, big brake kit, Volk Racing forged rims, carbon fiber driveshaft), boosted motor (forged and b&b and ported) & cooling, Anniv Edition Recaros, stripping interior, and carbon fiber body parts to to put it into the next level.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Corn tune?

The 2014+ 8AT is a beast considering what it sits behind. Can hold what turbokits.com kit can provide without issues (as long as you had trans-cooler and service properly).

Despite what you may hear, you will need to build the shortblock with firged internals if you want to push the boost past the minimum. Porting heads and installing high flow tank fuel pump along with other improvements will benefit. Unfortunately, there is no mapping at this time to upgrade the hpfp at the motor so while you can bolt it on, you cant tune for it.
Corn tune - e85 - additional 10 whp.
350whp max NA without head or cams.
8 spd auto - maybe 330 whp.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
He hasnt changed his mind yet but we are both have a few gripes about the platform. We are both sitting here comparing our thoughts. Personally I think its way more effective and cost efficient to boost in a bottle this car. Maybe a 75 shot. His goal is to find a platform that can be built into a stock looking sleeper. Last weekend and this weekend we started taking a few low mile used and even a new one out for a drive. He noted and reminded me there is a lot of room for improvement in the suspension. Has the feel of a grantourer not so much a sports car with generous amounts of body roll. oh yea and a completely numb steering wheel. Our other gripe is stock seats dont do much to keep you in place. I found the upper bolster was ok but the lower bolster would fold and my ass would slide around alot. We are both gonna read some more in other threads here see what we can build one of these into. It looks decent isnt overly flashy but we both are a bit disappointed with the stock performance power and cornering wise. Also how close to accurate is the 25 mpg highway? Seems really low for a modern smaller car. I mean after modding to the 3.91 from a 2.0 car I could see having that low of mpg but is it really that bad? I think ill also post this in a more general forum. Considering the number of different issues touched.

Thanks

Tom
Shortrac (member on this forum) able to hit 11.7s 1/4. With 100 shot of nitrous, 3.9 gearing and DR tires. Yes more cost effective than turbo if you really need to use it.

Best seats you will find in 14 and up r-spec.

Is your friend looking for a car to street race or or a nice daily that is quick?

If he wants sleeper - should get Taurus SHO, upgrade stock turbo cartridge (CHRAs), down pipes and exhaust - and run 450whp and 500wtq AWD.
To majority of people, Gen is not a sleeper - usually people thinks it Aston Martin (I do have Gen badges), or just think it's very fast based on how it looks. It does well in my opinion, with just a exhaust and intake its neck in neck with stage 2 STI.

·
3point8 Performance
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Lot of good points by andbudzi. This platform is changing, people like myself, alpha speed and MT Motorsports are working to change the platform. I've already started a remote tuning program that lets anyone anywhere get a custom tune. This broke a major road block for so many people. I've completely out-dated this post in the recent months with things like the manifold riser which adds a crap ton of mid-range tq and my new stage 2/3 manifolds which focus on adding top end power.

Alpha is working on updating the tunes and has made progress on the E85 for the 3.8s and better boost control on the 2.0s. I work with him almost daily on stuff. I also work with MT Motorports to get my customers the best and he has a lot of R&D going. The platform is getting easier and easier to make power from without breaking the bank. It's still nothing compared to modifying a chevy, but who wants a chevy?

I'm still working to reach the 400whp mark with just FBO and tune, but not quite sure i'll get there without pnp heads. The riser and stage 2/3 manifolds should get it close to 370-380whp but we'll see. Heads are critical part of hitting 400whp. I've ported more than a few sets for both 3.8 and 2.0 guys and they're loving them. It's expensive, but more and more people are getting into modifying internals and that has led to plug and play cam sets coming out soon and lots of other things.

I'm currently building a new fully built NA engine that will put down over 400whp on 91 without being stroked. These engines are awesome and can be built for some power.

Kind of went on a tangent there, but point is, this platform is growing and you can make good power and have fun, it's getting easier and cheaper. BUT, it all depends on your goals and budget.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I guess i just got spoiled with my car. Expect too much from other platforms. Stock internals on the n54 with massive single turbo have been up to 850hp reliable since the stock parts are all forged from factory. Stock hpfp will let you upgrade the turbos and flow fuel up to 625HP. After that you need a piggyback system and a secondary controller. With With the MHD app I can pull the ecu tune dump it into tuner pro, after I download the proper XDF files into tuner pro and I can tweak to my hearts content squeezing the last bits my current bolt-ons allow me to push. Im still on the stock turbo's but have pulled them and done the custom exhaust turbine 12deg grind to flow more exhaust so it isnt as bottle necked and a bit more efficient at 7k rpm.

As far a s sleeper or not he wants something that looks sporty/modern, but doesn't scream im modded watch me blow your doors off. The gencoupe has looks but certainly doesnt scream racecar either. My definition of sleeper may not be the same as other. To me is a car that looks stock but isnt. Pull up next to it expecting one thing to find you opened up a can of whoop ass on yourself.

·
3point8 Performance
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
I guess i just got spoiled with my car. Expect too much from other platforms. Stock internals on the n54 with massive single turbo have been up to 850hp reliable since the stock parts are all forged from factory. Stock hpfp will let you upgrade the turbos and flow fuel up to 625HP. After that you need a piggyback system and a secondary controller. With With the MHD app I can pull the ecu tune dump it into tuner pro, after I download the proper XDF files into tuner pro and I can tweak to my hearts content squeezing the last bits my current bolt-ons allow me to push. Im still on the stock turbo's but have pulled them and done the custom exhaust turbine 12deg grind to flow more exhaust so it isnt as bottle necked and a bit more efficient at 7k rpm.

As far a s sleeper or not he wants something that looks sporty/modern, but doesn't scream im modded watch me blow your doors off. The gencoupe has looks but certainly doesnt scream racecar either. My definition of sleeper may not be the same as other. To me is a car that looks stock but isnt. Pull up next to it expecting one thing to find you opened up a can of whoop ass on yourself.
thats the thing right there, people coming to this platform from other, more tuner friendly, platforms are crushed under the disappointment. Sadly, Hyundai will never let the genesis coupe get to that point, but thankfully we have more tuners popping up doing awesome things. The more people put eyes on the platform, the better it gets.

As far as a sleeper, throw those hyundai badges back on it lol. The optima guys have cars pushing 500whp, that's a sleeper for sure. But if you're looking to "Gap the world" then this isn't the platform for you.

Reactions: shorttrack

·
Registered
13 Posts
Lol I told him from the experience I have with my car I know what works now and can get him a used 2008-2011 low mile car build it to reliable 400+whp just from bolt ons and a tune for under $20k complete package...

His response: Yea yea your car is great but I dont wanna be a "fan boy" just because your car was easy. (easy he says... hundreds if not thousands of hours pouring over forum threads, hundreds of hours of internet research for the parts because just because they claim XYZ+ HP doesnt mean squat until you see real world proof... and so on... etc... oh and scuffed knuckles and stripped o2 sensor bungs because part was not brand they claimed and a knockoff)

So that brings me to here where I started research into what can he expect to do and get in return...

Also still shocked by the mpg number. 25mpg on the 3.54 stock 3.8 diff??? (yes its a fun day car dont MPG here!! but...) hell even the charger hellcat gets 22 mpg with a blown big cube v8. Which makes me wonder if any of you tuners on here have tried tweaking the gdi tuning on sub 3k rpm, sub 25% load demand on the map and see if it gets better running it 16-1 ratio. In my car on the forums some guys pulled the maps off stock euro n54 tunes and they actually from factory had up to a 17-1 ratio. The reason they get away with this is because the direct injection spurts fuel directly on the piston head keeping it cool. I imported that part of the euro tune into my tune and on highway 6th gear easily 35mpg+ almost 40 when on trips with "the conscience" in the passenger seat XD. Would be curious if you tracked EGT and tried this on your 3.8?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thats why im here and was thrilled when I found this post, an in detail write-up on a build path with real results. My car I built, well I should say i'm building... im always tweaking something trying something or researching something else. Is my DD with plenty of oh damn thats quick surprise when someone in a hellcat or gtr is playing around. Im not quite to their lvl but I still surprise them especially in the corners :). My friend is looking for something similar fun quick reliable DD he can have fun messing around with other quick cars on and off track. And something he can have fun building making it better than stock. However he isnt quite as dedicated or savy mechanically or with electronics. Hence why im the one researching this XD because I understand it. Im not sure if he started with this platform how excited he would be after we start with a few bolt ons and its not that noticeable a difference between stock.

He was there when i got my first stage 1 tune that woke me up to the potential in my car... It was that kind of WTF moment that really lit the need for speed itch in me building my car. Seeing a full second drop off your 0-60 from a canned tune was a shocker.

Oh a mod I recommend had not seen it here on the forum yet. A CAP/Li-ion battery upgrade. Easy way to drop 30 lbs from the car. The lithium batteries have better longevity as well. You have to buy the tender ups the initial costs of course. Afterwards can get replacement batteries way way cheaper than your stock lead acid and it weighs like i said on average 30lbs less! The best kits/Li-ion-tenders are also the ones that include high farad capacitors as well so the high draw of starting is never drawn from the battery alone. I saw one kit that you didnt even need lithium batteries the caps could start the car alone. however with modern electronics in cars it isnt recommended because they have high burst power but low capacity and would draw down in a day or less if left as your only solution. however they only weigh about 1 lb. and if your goal is racecar... well then that only 1-lb is the way to go!!!

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Back in 2013 They were rated 27 manual and 28 auto, v6. Maybe late years, they updated MPg to higher highway speeds -75. Combined city and highway -v6 gets better MPG than 2.0 (need boost in city to accelarate = horrible miladge)

I get 30-32 mpg at 60mph, manual.
But who buys GT car for mileage.

I bet 5.0 with catback exhuast was surprised by the 3.8 bk2:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mustangs gt/5.0 have been slow for decades until you start to mod them... hell the 2000's-2015 v6 stangs with a bolt on blower blew the doors of the GT and cost less overall! There is a reason used stangs are so cheap ;-). The potential is there though, but Ive never been a fan of their looks though besides the classics. At least the latest gen is getting better looking IMO. the 80's 5.0 was butt ugly... sorry mustang fans. lol but this is off topic.

XD i know i know MPG Is that bad word! Its also a DD so being able to economically drive point a-b so i can prove to "the conscience" its also a comfy trip car is a plus. Ya know VS the Why are you spending X$ on bla bla bla... though seriously i think my current average mpg is like 16-18... because u know BOOOOOOOOOOOOST!!!!!
I am curious to talk to your tuners about the lean maps for these direct injection engines because they boosted my highway 70-80mph from 30ish us maps to over 35 euro stock maps. In your cars a map below 3k and 25% load demand running a 15.4 optimum lean stoichiometry im hoping 3k gets you 60-70ish mph. No reason if it stays within proper temps couldnt get you reliably 30ish mpg?

The video thats the kind of build my friend is looking for. When someone tries you and walks away saying damn I didnt know they were that quick! A 100 wet-shot with a good dual or quad bottle setup would certainly get him going. Never understood why most consider that the "cheater" way to go. To me its all science. Torque is Torque via canned air or blown it still leaves the rest in the dust if you build it right! I think it would keep my friend interested enough to stay with this platform as well. I personally never go canned because that, damn im out of go juice, just doesnt cut it for me XD

Personally my favorite go to races recently have been roll races/top speed runs. So far my best was 188mph at the phoenix mile from a 40 start. I have a 201mph from a 60, unofficial though :-( from the last run of the night. Their second timer was already being taken down (was after 1AM). You have to be verified by the second timer to get classed. I was stuck at the 188 because for 5 runs I had a hard coded 300km/h limiter that I had forgotten to remove. So I wasted the day tweaking my tune thinking I was running out of air on the top end. You have no idea I was so pissed... any way that said Im stoked for this year. The reason I was hard coded for 300km/h was because the very first tune on the car was a canned proprietary tune from JZW (damn sweet tune for a stock car though) before I found the magic off MHD app I just had not had a reason to look for that XDF line before. It was another bmw tuner at the meet that asked about and showed me it. sadly you cant make the line null you have to keep a value so my current hard cap is 400km/h (ill never hit it XD)

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lean-burn

P.S.Yes I like to have my cake and eat it too!
Video posted is against 2016 5.0 - 390whp, 350wtq with exhaust.
Gen is lighter and better gearing due to 3.9 rear, just NA - FOB, 3.9 gears and corn tune.

We did have posts about lithium batteries in the past, as well as light wheels, light tires (which have more effect on accelaration than wheels), personal diets, never running more than 1/2 tank of gas (always be ready), striping interior to lose 800lbs because race car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Lol Never was one for stripped cars. I like my cars fast and comfortable enough to make it to the track and trough track day without being sore for the next week. And its been a while since a stripped car saved 800 lbs. most recent car i saw where they properly weighed all the stripped parts only about 250-300lbs max leaving only the driver seat. The manufacturers know that weight makes them slow and gas guzzling. The materiel have changed a lot even in the past 10 years.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Lol Never was one for stripped cars. I like my cars fast and comfortable enough to make it to the track and trough track day without being sore for the next week. And its been a while since a stripped car saved 800 lbs. most recent car i saw where they properly weighed all the stripped parts only about 250-300lbs max leaving only the driver seat. The manufacturers know that weight makes them slow and gas guzzling. The materiel have changed a lot even in the past 10 years.
Someone got it to 2,7xx lb all combined.

Always thought it was idiotic for cars that are driven on the street. Usually done on brokeass civics to hit high 14

·
Registered
13 Posts
Doubt it was from a striping the inside of internal comforts only though. Prolly needed carbonhood, carbontrunk, carbondoor skins, glass replaced with acrylic, carbon roof, and more to drop that much.

·
shorttrack
1,684 Posts
Hmmmmn!!!!!!>:D

101 - 120 of 138 Posts