Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Bookmarked for further research. Much appreciated! 600hp sounds like a fun coupe indeed. Congrats and continued success.

I see they make gun lube as well which gets great reviews. I'll keep that in mind when I run out of my EWL lube and grease.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My 2015 gen 3.8 coupe burns about 3 quarts per oil change at 5000km religiously. Been doing so since I bought from the dealership.... Dealership says its normal base on how the engine is engineered to get its power. Their recommendations are to use fuel injection cleaners and use premium gas to minimize this known and common issue with this vehicle.
3 quarts per oil change?!!? Thats NOT normal at all! My '13 GT with 100k miles uses absolutely no oil since I've purchased it. Not once have I had to add oil between 5000 mile intervals. May want to get that looked at?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I did the AT as soon as I got it at 19K. Will replace all the CERMA AT at 64K.
-Did the differential when purchased. Will redo at 80 K.
-Did the power steering system. Will redo at 80K.
-Use their CERMA coolant, its amazing. Will replace at 80 K.
-Change my oil at 3K, I have to, I run pure meth, cant risk methanol/blowby.
-Add small amounts of "Nano", treats the turbo bearings and the main bearings.
-Add pure STM3 ferment to my pure methanol. This treats the upper cylinder/rings as it is sprayed into the valve chambers.
You change Cerma oil every 3k miles? They say their oil is 15k and 30k mile versions starting at $11 per qt. I don't know if the oem filter would be ok that long or not. I plan to keep 5k mile oil changes but would be interesting to try their oil then get a UOA to see if the wear #s improve. Maybe the mileage would improve a little as well like they claim. If I got their one time oil treatment it would be $180. A lot cheaper than buying another engine so is worth consideration.

Btw DDD I envy you. Continued success.

Reactions: Triple-D

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Yes, I change every 3K because of running pure methanol. I dont want to risk any meth/fuel dilution. Its just good practice. Oil is cheap compared to engine wear/damage. It doesnt matter how tuff or good ones oil is methanol can
corrupt anything potentially.

And yes, an normal aspirated Genesis on pump gas could go 15K on CERMA and 30 K on CERMAX if they wanted to.

***My ex father in law routinely went 30K on CERMAX with only oil filter changes every 5K on his flagship Lexus for 100,000 miles. The car is perfect today.

You need to change the filter every 5 K, because CERMA oils make the carbon cling together and clump in the oil filter.
Its the opposite of every oil on the market which just keeps the carbon in solution
with emulsifiers and detergents.
I use a SETRAB hyper flow 25 micron Stainless steel reusable filter which I clean and remove all the carbon from the car.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I've researched bitog posts about Cerma. Surprisingly most of them call it snake oil and there are only a few posts there about it over the past decade. Youtube is just a few mixed reviews and comments on it. I haven't found anything saying if they have it API certified yet or not but Amazon is where most of the good reviews are about it.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Of course they would.

Been using it since 2009. You see the build I have. 32K on the build. Pretty damm impressive.
80 K on a super turbo VT.
If you actually meet or speak to anyone that has actually used it. Just like me.
Annnnd............ No, I'm not a salesman.
All the oil sold now is like a sopwith camel biplane from WW I

Cerma is like a Messerschmidt 262 jet.

***If you truly have questions call the tech support line. Ask for John,...he invented the stuff. He is a triple engineer.(Mechanical,electircal,chemical).

Also, of all the hyper tuned and modifed VTs I knew of CERMA treated. No one ever spun a bearing. They blew up because there were GDI and refused to NOT use meth/water (dumbasses), threw rods from detonation, but never never spun a bearing.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Just changed the oil today and added the Cerma treatment. Hoping for improvement. Time will tell. I've heard Heavy Duty oil is best with more detergents and better base oil but I couldn't find any in 5w30 so I went with Mobil1's truck oil version full synth since it's listed for hard working engines. Next OCI I'll try Cerma oil.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Leave the CERMA engine treatment in for 1500 miles or so. When you add the treatment it doesn't matter what kind of oil old or new. The CERMA makes anything in it work.
After 1500 miles dump that stuff and add full CERMA with a new filter.
I would have encouraged you to log your PIDs prior to CERMA and after. You would see the empirical difference it makes.
You will notice things right off with the engine treatment, but once you go full CERMA oil thats when things get interesting.
Too bad you didnt measure each cylinders compression before and after. Stark difference.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I was planning on running that treatment the entire 5k mile OCI. Shouldn't hurt anything. All I do is UOAs through Blackstone labs. Would have done the compression test but money is super tight right now. Among other expensive repairs like blowing over $3K on a new home AC I just got my overhead diesel tank fixed and I'm going to blow hundreds more on diesel to have plenty reserved to power my home generator and tractor if the SHTF via economy shutdown, riots ect where stores shut down. All your advice has been much appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Ok, I tell you ahead of time don't waste 85.00 on a Blackstone report to tell you you have excessive "silicon". CERMA is a form of silicon. They will interpret it as your air filter isn't working, or excessive or harmful. They don't know what the hell it is or how it works.

1500 is minimum, 5 K will be fine.
****You should put the CERMA air con stuff in your system. I did, and I have 48.00 electric bills in the summer with the air con set on 68 F.

·
Registered
218 Posts
They charge less than $30 but I don't get a TBN just the basic analysis. I'll let them know about the Cerma being silicone carbide since I want to see the wear #s. I'll check out that AC additive thanks. I keep mine on 73 for the most part. The bills are fine but I'm always interested in cheaper.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts