Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Advenio Pariter
3,829 Posts
My engine does not burn any appreciable amount during the duration of my oil changes (4k miles).

·
Registered
192 Posts
What I previously thought was oil burn turned out to be a leaking drain plug that was slight enough to not drip on the ground with the splash guards kept off. No oil burn detected ever since the fix. No tiny pieces of metal in the pan as previously found either. Latest UOA showed good stats too so all is well so far.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been changing my oil every 8k sometimes earlier, I'm using Royal Purple 5W20 and i've noticed the level is low to almost on the First Dot on the dipstick. i don't have any leaks but i've also noticed that when i remove the Oil cap there is a bit of milky oil around the cap. I have a 2010 3.8 Gt with 126K Anyone having the same issues?

·
Bill
558 Posts
hopefully just condensation. if it were the head you'd see way worse than that.
going on 9 years old? some leakage or burning might be expected.

·
Advenio Pariter
3,829 Posts
Milky oil suggests water in the oil. Are you making short trips? How does the coolant look? Any oil in it? I have over 110k miles on a 2.0T and I do not use any significant oil between oil changes. It sits on the full mark.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Mine started burning oil recently. Almost half a quart during 5k miles. I'm near 105k miles now. UOA shows everything is normal other than a little higher iron lately but not an alarming amount since Blackstone said it's common with these 3.8 engines for reasons unknown to them. They did say they weren't familiar with oil burn being common with these engines though but that is not a uncommon issue with higher mile engines in general. Will keep a close eye on it to see if it burns more and if iron amount goes higher in future UOA.

Btw I use Mobile 1 5w30 full synth with oem filters.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts