Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Measure where snorkle comes into an air box (connection between the two), I think it is 2-2.5" opening there.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
So say it is 2.5" neck right before the intake box, then crosssection area of an opening is 2 times smaller then crossection area of intake pipe leading to the TB.

·
shorttrack
1,641 Posts
Also on the air box facing the engine ,the upper and lower half of the air box split line is not sealed either .If held it in the light you can see a gap .I sealed it as it is a small area that pulls warm engine bay heat .During My time as a Bike drag racer ,my friends and I would even cover our air box neatly with home AC aluminum tape to keep our plastic Hayabusa's air box from absorbing to much heat .

·
shorttrack
1,641 Posts
So say it is 2.5" neck right before the intake box, then crosssection area of an opening is 2 times smaller then crossection area of intake pipe leading to the TB.
It is about 3"X4" .= 3.5 " I have a tape measure on it .

·
shorttrack
1,641 Posts
Have the snorkel off ,It is 3''x4'' . So lets not "say" ,let us look at the tape measure .The #'s are what they are andbudzi .As I stated , the after market cold air tubes come out to be about the same size and from what I have seen ,they do not fully seal out the heat with provided shielding ,This is the reason why I studied and modded the factory air box .

·
shorttrack
1,641 Posts
Forgot to add , since my hinged flap is weighted for the slightest suction value ,any suction signal greater than frontal high pressure will allow the engine to pull from the side opening of the air box as well as from the snorkel . When frontal pressure is greater ,then the side port is close allowing only cooler dense air . A win win situation for making NA HP .

·
Registered
178 Posts
Forgot to add , since my hinged flap is weighted for the slightest suction value ,any suction signal greater than frontal high pressure will allow the engine to pull from the side opening of the air box as well as from the snorkel . When frontal pressure is greater ,then the side port is close allowing only cooler dense air . A win win situation for making NA HP .
I am really intrigued, I would like to see pictures of your setup.

My drop-in K&N air filter is coming in tomorrow and I'll be removing the carbon filter (Edit: Apparently the '13+ do not have the carbon filter). I want to see what else I can do to improve the stock setup.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I wonder if there's a good way to integrate a naca duct and tubes running to the factory airbox..

·
shorttrack
1,641 Posts
I am really intrigued, I would like to see pictures of your setup.

My drop-in K&N air filter is coming in tomorrow and I'll be removing the carbon filter (Edit: Apparently the '13+ do not have the carbon filter). I want to see what else I can do to improve the stock setup.
I'm in Houston as well .I have been waiting on my daughter to set me up a photobucket account to submit pics but she is very busy with college .If you are near beltway 8 & I-45 south/north we could meet up and I could explain my set up in a person to person format (I have other mods in my build).Planning on running at royal purple next year with the goal of running in the 11's in the 1/4 .

·
shorttrack
1,641 Posts
I wonder if there's a good way to integrate a naca duct and tubes running to the factory airbox..
There is no need for doing that . The OEM intake with a little modification is more than capable to handle decent cold air intake duties .

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm in Houston as well .I have been waiting on my daughter to set me up a photobucket account to submit pics but she is very busy with college .If you are near beltway 8 & I-45 south/north we could meet up and I could explain my set up in a person to person format (I have other mods in my build).Planning on running at royal purple next year with the goal of running in the 11's in the 1/4 .
I'm close to NW290 and N610, you don't sound too far, I may be out and about this weekend, bit that would be cool to see your mods.

Also, Imgur (.com) is a free image hosting site, super easy to use and you don't need to set up an account or anything (unless you want to keep track of what you upload). Most of the time I just upload and image, post the link, and forget about it.

·
shorttrack
1,641 Posts
I'm close to NW290 and N610, you don't sound too far, I may be out and about this weekend, bit that would be cool to see your mods.

Also, Imgur (.com) is a free image hosting site, super easy to use and you don't need to set up an account or anything (unless you want to keep track of what you upload). Most of the time I just upload and image, post the link, and forget about it.
Sounds good ,if I am not working OT this weekend .If I am working overtime , it will be night shift . We can meet up for about 1-1/2 hr near me as I must be leaving for work around 4pm-430pm .If this is a good option for you then I would suggest bringing a camera so you could take & post pics for members who are interested in these worthwhile mods .

·
Registered
139 Posts
Do people not use facebook? Upload the picture to facebook if you don't want to use third party hosting websites, and keep the privacy to "only me" right click, choose copy URL, click on the image icon and insert the url.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sounds good ,if I am not working OT this weekend .If I am working overtime , it will be night shift . We can meet up for about 1-1/2 hr near me as I must be leaving for work around 4pm-430pm .If this is a good option for you then I would suggest bringing a camera so you could take & post pics for members who are interested in these worthwhile mods .
Keep me posted on how your weekend ends up looking, realistically I would have time Saturday before your shift to come take a gander and post the pictures later.
Using this thread (or a PM) will notify me pretty quick, as all of notifications go straight to my phone.

·
3point8 Performance
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

·
Registered
178 Posts

·
shorttrack
1,641 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
So I decided to perform the easy stock intake modification on my new Ultimate (warning picture heavy). I chose not to remove the OEM part and to cut out the fins instead. I went this route in order to avoid the bumper sag mentioned earlier. I noticed that the mod did help to reduce hesitation when accelerating, especially in 1st and 2nd gears.

Overall it was pretty easy and I could have just used the carpet knife to make all of the cuts rather than the cutting wheel.

Tools: Safety glasses, gloves (rubber, leather, etc.), blue tape, pliers, cutting wheel, carpet knife, and air hose (to blow off debris).

OEM part:

All taped up:

Let the cutting begin:

Now for the trimming and removal:

Nearly done:

Finished product:

That was it! Also, the melted plastic came off when I used the air hose to blow off the dust and debris. Just make sure to let the plastic cool and don't touch/smear it or you'll probably have more issues.

Hope this helps somebody.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Nice write up. You mention the hesitation between 1st and 2nd, Id highly recomend going with either the Sprint V3 booster, which I run, or the less expessive, but still highly recomended Trios, theres a thread or two on them around here somewhere.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts